Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Going to Europe next week and have a wifi hotspot. Will be taking a lot of pictures and do not want to waste wifi hotspot data on the phone uploading photos to iCloud or photostream. It seems that disabling creates a problem after when I turn it back on after the trip (deleting all photos then requires to re-upload). Also, I do want to upload the photos when I am connected to wifi landline in the evenings.

What's the best way to keep my iCloud backups and/or photostream without destroying data from hotspot?

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
This may not be the solution that you're looking for, but I believe that iCloud/photostream syncing is suspended when the phone is in low power mode. You could turn that on during the day.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
This may not be the solution that you're looking for, but I believe that iCloud/photostream syncing is suspended when the phone is in low power mode. You could turn that on during the day.

Hmm. Interesting if that is true it would be an option. Let me look into it.
[doublepost=1535676122][/doublepost]

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205234

So, it pauses iCloud photo uploading as long as the low power mode is engaged? This doesn't seem to impact photostream though. Also, if the phone is above 80% charge, low power turns off. Also, screen brightness is impacting which could prove difficult in sunlight. This work around isn't great I guess. A good thought.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

So, it pauses iCloud photo uploading as long as the low power mode is engaged? This doesn't seem to impact photostream though. Also, if the phone is above 80% charge, low power turns off. Also, screen brightness is impacting which could prove difficult in sunlight. This work around isn't great I guess. A good thought.

Too bad. Sorry it’s not what you’re looking for. But I’m pretty sure it only turns off low power mode above 80% if the phone is plugged in. When really seeing how long I could stretch the battery life, I’ve kept low power mode on from 100% right down to 20.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin

You can manually turn low power mode on even above 80 I do it all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.