Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nadjla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2019
Schermafbeelding 2019-01-26 om 20.50.15.png
Hi everyone,

I bought a new MacBook Pro in 2016 because my old one stopped working (bought in 2010). Luckily I did have a back-up. I put the complete back-up on a hard drive. Never looked at it until today, I was curious about some old pictures and opened the back-up.

I was able to find the pictures file and open it. But I also found an old iPhoto library and the photo library of the photo application that came after iPhoto and is still being used (see screenshot, the names are in Dutch but you'll recognize the logo's). I tried to open both libraries but of course, my software is too new/updated so I couldn't. Does anyone know how I can still open those old libraries? So I want to open iPhoto-bibliotheek and Foto's-bibliotheek.

Last edited:

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
OK. For the Photos/Fotos Library, if you start Photos while holding down the Alt key, you get a popup box. If you choose "Other Library" and navigate to the backup, it should open.

If you do that, you might be asked if you want to import the photographs from the old iPhoto Library. If not, you can access those pictures by selecting the iPhoto Library and then two finger/Ctrl click on it and select, "Show Package Contents". the pictures will be in the Modified or Original Folders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.