Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wills11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
If I understand correctly, Big Sur doesn't allow me to create an HSF+ encrypted disk anymore—and even when control-clicking an HSF+ disk and choosing "Encrypt", it converts it to APFS.

How, then, can I create a password-protected HSF+ disk on an external USB drive? I don't want to use it for Time Machine—just want to make sure the data on it isn't available should I lose the disk or have it stolen. I had no problem doing this with Mojave.

Appreciate any help—thanks in advance!

wills11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
Thanks! And will that give me the benefits (such as they are) of using HSF+ or would the file system still be APFS? I had some issues with the latter on spinning drives and I'm mostly eager to avoid a repeat.

Also, do you have any idea why Apple removed the ability to encrypt HSF+ volumes?

I so appreciate the advice!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I think Apple was just wanting everybody to move forward to APFS. But yes, you can make an encrypted HFS+ disk image and store it on an external drive formatted to either APFS or HFS+.

wills11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
I think Apple was just wanting everybody to move forward to APFS. But yes, you can make an encrypted HFS+ disk image and store it on an external drive formatted to either APFS or HFS+.
Thanks again! I heard some horror stories about mechanical drives when APFS first came out, and had one nightmarish experience. Do you have an opinion as to which is better on a spinning HDD today?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
APFS is optimized for hard drives, so it may not be quite as fast as a HFS+ formatted drive, but APFS is also inherently more reliable because of the way files are copied. For example, if someone were to accidentally pull the plug in the middle of a file move, APFS would be less likely to lose data.

wills11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
APFS is optimized for hard drives, so it may not be quite as fast as a HFS+ formatted drive, but APFS is also inherently more reliable because of the way files are copied. For example, if someone were to accidentally pull the plug in the middle of a file move, APFS would be less likely to lose data.

Oh, good — I’m far more concerned with reliability and happy to sacrifice a bit of speed. I wonder why there are so many articles recommending not using APFS for mechanical drives. In any case — I so appreciate your help and will happily let Apple use APFS!

petterihiisila

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Finland
If I understand correctly, Big Sur doesn't allow me to create an HSF+ encrypted disk anymore—and even when control-clicking an HSF+ disk and choosing "Encrypt", it converts it to APFS.

How, then, can I create a password-protected HSF+ disk on an external USB drive? I don't want to use it for Time Machine—just want to make sure the data on it isn't available should I lose the disk or have it stolen. I had no problem doing this with Mojave.

Appreciate any help—thanks in advance!
I made an encrypted HFS+ sparsebundle for Time Machine purposes with Disk Utility. I've got three of those. One lives on an HFS+ USB drive. Another inside a Time Capsule. Third is an ext4 file system, an external disk on a Raspberry Pi.

I have to manually mount the sparsebundles, that's the only drawback. Which I consider being an upside actually, it gives me some control for when it's safe to undock, and when Time Machine will be running.
sudo tmutil setdestination -a /Volumes/sparsebundle_mount_point
APFS disks and sparsebundles work much slower on all those scenarios. Not sure why, but HFS+ is consistently faster. And "faster" means by a factor of 10, once the backups start to accumulate. It's a difference between 3 minutes vs. 30 minutes per typical (small) update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.