Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I have a client who is running Sonoma 14.5 on her M1 MacBook Air. I can set up her HP LaserJet P3015 for her, but when we try to print, the job clears from the print queue very quickly, and the printer does not produce output.

Even though it shows as not compatible with macOS Monterey or newer, some people have pointed to the HP 5.1.1 Printer Software Update as helping with printer incompatibility even in Sonoma. I have installed, but while the printer icon changed to something reflecting the appearance of the printer better than before, the print jobs still do not get printed. That printer software update page points to https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201465, which includes the HP LaserJet P3010 series as being supported by that update.

Is there something else that could be done? That printer is a good printer, while old, that has been a reliable workhorse.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
I've found for some HP printers, you actually need to install the driver from HP's website. Even though Apple has most of the drivers built into macOS and it can fetch others on it's own, some of the older printers had a macOS "app" that allowed it to work. As long as it's 64-bit, it should work just fine. I had a laserjet printer where the generic driver would not print out to 100% scale, but HP's driver from the website fixed this.

Reactions: DominikHoffmann

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
Very nice printer for its time. Is there any way you can change the driver to "Generic" or something like that?

I've found for some HP printers, you actually need to install the driver from HP's website.
That’s what I did first. Even with the generic driver, print jobs would just disappear into the ether. I would have pursued troubleshooting on the macOS side a bit more, were that computer not able to print to a Canon laser printer just fine.

Apple really needs to fix printing in the next version of macOS.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
Just a WAG, but poke around to see if there's an app that needs access to system resources, some kind of permission problem blocking the spooler? With recent MacOS upgrades, I experience more permission errors from audio devices that don't appear on screen. I have to dig the error messages out of security logs.

Is the printer connected direct to usb? Through a hub/dock? Wireless (which would have been less common back in 2009)?

I've seen Canon's software set up two versions of the printer, one for USB, one for wireless (wifi, airprint, bonjour), with very similar names. Not to be pedantic (except I can't help myself), but, if that's the case, are you sure the right printer is selected?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.