Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinergy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2016
When I was watching the hello again live-stream I was hugely disappointed. I wasn't thrilled about the features they showed on the event, especially the ones with the TouchBar. All I was hearing was Emojis, Emojis, Emojis. What a gimmick I thought. And apart from that every "Pro"-user knows their shortcuts and is typing blindly anyway. Who needs predictive text, copy & paste functions when you don't even look at your keyboard...
This thread isn't about the technical aspects. I don't care about your battery life or how reflective or low-res the screen is. I want to know how the TB could possibly be put to good use, because I am certain that Apple will continue to implement this technology in future MBPs. So instead of slagging the TB I would like to start this thread and encourage everyone to write down your idea on how productivity could be increased with the TouchBar.
Here are some of my ideas:
  • Clipboard: I am currently writing my bachelor thesis and therefore reading and writing a lot, copying pasting sources, links, graphs etc. If the TouchBar could be used as a clipboard with a preview just like the tabs in safari that would be awesome.
  • Dock: One of the best futures of MacBooks in general is its 16:10 aspect ratio. I don't know how many of you can actually appreciate this, but I really love to have about 2cm or 1.27" more screen real-estate on top and bottom of the screen, especially when working. So when you switch to fullscreen-mode, there could be an option for the TouchBar to show the Dock.
  • MenuBar: When in fullscreen-mode I have to go to the top of the screen with the cursor to show the MenuBar. An option to show the MenuBar on the TouchBar would be useful. You tap on the TouchBar and the Dropdown Menu opens from where your mouse-curser is located.
Maybe you guys have other ideas? Program-specific or not, doesn't matter. Please post them here and I will try to implement all the ideas in the first post.

could be implemented:

Context-aware autocompletion suggestions for code and all kinds of markup. Could be a great help for people working with latex for example.
[doublepost=1481991685][/doublepost]

I often write in foreign languages. Some have letters and signs that don't exist in mine (for exemple in Spanish ¿ á í ñ). I'd like to have them directly available in the touch bar.

already implemented:
(...) when I expand it to show all the function keys it quickly changes it back unless I'm missing an option or something to keep it

can be set in System Preferences

use of it [the TouchBar] is choosing the time and length of a new calendar event. It's honestly a lot, lot quicker than manually typing in the length and start time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pardus and MareLuce

MareLuce

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2010
  • Clipboard: I am currently writing my bachelor thesis and therefore reading and writing a lot, copying pasting sources, links, graphs etc. If the TouchBar could be used as a clipboard with a preview just like the tabs in safari that would be awesome.
Really like this one.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
Not really fan of the touch bar currently and miss the function keys. Hopefully it gets better as more software is updated with support for it

spinergy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2016
Not really fan of the touch bar currently and miss the function keys. Hopefully it gets better as more software is updated with support for it
What would you like to see changed in order to like it? Do you have an idea on how to further improve productivity?

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
What would you like to see changed in order to like it? Do you have an idea on how to further improve productivity?
Well one thing is when I expand it to show all the function keys it quickly changes it back unless I'm missing an option or something to keep it

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Had the 2016 mac for 3 weeks and never used the touch bar only for vol and brightness so yeah its a waste of time

spinergy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2016
Had the 2016 mac for 3 weeks and never used the touch bar only for vol and brightness so yeah its a waste of time
what would it take to make you use the TouchBar. Do you have an idea for devs to improve the experience?

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
There are clipboard apps being developed with Touch bar updates.

The Touch Bar can be programmed for just about anything so it's going to have many great tools.

People who say they miss the fn keys are disingenuous or don't own a new machine. It can be configured to work exactly the same as before.

spinergy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2016
I personally think what could be a significant improvement for the usability of the TB is to bring consistent functionality across programs. Like the aforementioned Clipboard, MenuBar or Dock. A simple replacement for the function keys isn't enough.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Context-aware autocompletion suggestions for code and all kinds of markup. Could be a great help for people working with latex for example.
[doublepost=1481991685][/doublepost]
I personally think what could be a significant improvement for the usability of the TB is to bring consistent functionality across programs. Like the aforementioned Clipboard, MenuBar or Dock. A simple replacement for the function keys isn't enough.

Btw, did you actually try it? I have only spent 5 min yesterday at Apple Store, but I am certainly intrigued by the possibilities. What Apple is pushing is actually in contrast to what you suggest here. Rather then offering consistent functionality, they suggest that the Touch Bar should offer app-specific functionality, enhancing how the user can interact with that particular app. There are instances where adaptive touch-aware controls trump menus (e.g color sekrction), and that's where the touch bar is at its best.

spinergy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2016
Btw, did you actually try it? I have only spent 5 min yesterday at Apple Store, but I am certainly intrigued by the possibilities. What Apple is pushing is actually in contrast to what you suggest here.

No and me too. To this day I am very happy with my mid 2012 15" MBP. But I honestly have zero incentive to switch to the 2016 model. Even if my Mac would die, I would opt for the 13" nonTouchBar because I don't see any benefit as of right now. And I think I am not the only one. I would like to see the TB being improved through new software. That's why I would like others to post their ideas here on how to put the TB to good use.

I can see why apps like Photoshop and FCP X get dedicated functionality. But apps like notes, reminder, mail, safari, word, powerpoint and the like could benefit from what I have suggested.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Btw, did you actually try it? I have only spent 5 min yesterday at Apple Store, but I am certainly intrigued by the possibilities. What Apple is pushing is actually in contrast to what you suggest here. Rather then offering consistent functionality, they suggest that the Touch Bar should offer app-specific functionality, enhancing how the user can interact with that particular app. There are instances where adaptive touch-aware controls trump menus (e.g color sekrction), and that's where the touch bar is at its best.

Agree with this - I'm often surprised by what is offered on the Touch Bar, and how much more natural it can be to use. My one surprise favourite use of it is choosing the time and length of a new calendar event. It's honestly a lot, lot quicker than manually typing in the length and start time. But then I never knew about it until I stumbled across it by chance, as it probably doesn't look as sexy as Safari tabs in marketing materials.

I'm hoping there are more uses like this, where using the Touch Bar just makes a lot of, well, sense. It can feel a bit forced in some apps at the moment.

Attachments

• Touch Bar Shot 2016-12-17 at 4.31.07 pm.png
    Touch Bar Shot 2016-12-17 at 4.31.07 pm.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 189

Sohappy

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2016
I often write in foreign languages. Some have letters and signs that don't exist in mine (for exemple in Spanish ¿ á í ñ). I'd like to have them directly available in the touch bar.

Reactions: spinergy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.