Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hughn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2021
So a little of background and I have doing research many page but have not found the solution yet.

• I tried out Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 10 on my MacBook. Then I accidentally deleted the MacOS Partition (350GB) after booting in Windows 10.
  • After that I could not boot into the MacOS. I boot to Internet Recovery and reinstall the new Mac OS in another partition (150GB). (I did not have any Time Machine saving on the old OS)
Here is my Disk Utility screenshots.

Total is 500 GB

enter image description here

You can see that 350GB partition is nowhere to be found.

I have tried many tools (Disk Drill, DiskTest, Hetman, Recoverit, ...) to recover the deleted Partition or data from the deleted partition but the only data showed up was system data like "Apple manual PDFs" or "system mp3 sound".

I do think the old OS data is still there after research on many forums but have no luck so far.

Please help if anyone have got into this problem and found the solution. I really don't want to lose those data.

Here is the screenshot of terminal after run "diskutil list"

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
First gather info about your drive
https://gist.github.com/joevt/a99e3af71343d8242e0078ab4af39b6c

Code:
cd ~/Downloads
curl -L https://gist.github.com/joevt/a99e3af71343d8242e0078ab4af39b6c/raw -o dumpvols.sh
xattr dumpvols.sh 2> /dev/null | grep com.apple.quarantine && xattr -d com.apple.quarantine dumpvols.sh
chmod +x dumpvols.sh
sudo ./dumpvols.sh > dumpvols_1.txt 2>&1
Compress the dumpvols_1.txt file and attach to reply.

Did that 150 GB partition exist before or after you destroyed the 350 GB partition? Because 150 GB + 350 GB = 500 GB which leaves no room for a Windows partition. Or is the 150 GB partition where Windows was supposed to be installed?

What version of macOS was installed on the 350 GB partition? What was the format of the 350 GB partition? Was it APFS or HFS+?

I think the thing to do would be to find the start of the 350 GB partition (probably at the start of the unused space), and create a partition using gpt fdisk at that location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.