Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
I am working with this picture below. I would like to grayscale the entire picture, however leave the red string. What would be the simplest way to do this?

I have iPhoto, which I know is meek at best. And Also have Gimp, however i am not proficient in it.

Thanks

ffviitildeathdouspartbyxn9.jpg

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
I am working with this picture below. I would like to grayscale the entire picture, however leave the red string. What would be the simplest way to do this?

I have iPhoto, which I know is meek at best. And Also have Gimp, however i am not proficient in it.

Thanks

Only know how to do this in photoshop (i use CS2), desaturating the image then using the history brush tool, i think thats about the easiest & quickest way to do it, never used Gimp, unfortunatly the history tool isn't included in elements 3 or 4 dont know about 5, try & google it, there are a load of photoshop tutorials out there, so i'm sure there should be a few for gimp, hope your get there in the end.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
For gimp, you could duplicate the image layer, desaturate the upmost layer, then erase the ribbon to let the red show through. If your original image is as low res as what you posted here, I think you're going to find that the ribbon will look a little washed out since the red bleeds so heavily into the background.

An alternative that may look nicer, since it's a drawing anyway, would be to repaint the red onto a desaturated copy of the image.

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
Just make the photo B/W and draw it in with a drawing tool. Took me 2 min.

Attachments

• ffviitildeathdouspartbyxn9.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 323

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
Yes, that's the general idea, but take a little more time and color inside the lines :D

OK, but that would take me 4-5 min. :p

I tried this again in GIMP. Very awkward.

To OP. Use iPhoto to edit the pic making it B/W. Open the file in GIMP. Use the Magnifying Glass in GIMP to magnify the area of the string. Then use the drawing tool in GIMP, looks like a pencil. Change the color to Red in the color boxes. You'll have to change the brush size to something small, probably Circle(01). Color away. It's quick and dirty, but it works.

I never noticed that in GIMP you cannot adjust the size of the brush, each brush type has its own size. Weird.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Cool Thanks.

I am just trying new things. I go this MBP and would like to start doing creative things with it. I figured I would give photo editing stuff a try, but found it hard without Photoshop. I currently own PS7 for the PC, but I dont use it anymore. Dont really feel that buying CS3 would be worth it at this level. I am just messing around.

But thanks for the tips. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.