Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

banannieannie123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
I have the following machine that's been warped somehow - one of the bottom screws fell out somehow and it's been sitting in a closet for about a year (I got a newer laptop for work and personal use and forgot about it). Since then, it's warped as show in the pictures.

Any recommendations on how much to sell it for on eBay (or somewhere else)? Apple's recycling program valued it at $125, but I did a search for the value of the 500GB SSD alone (used) and it's worth about $150 as far as I can tell.

The computer powers on and the OS loads, it just looks bad. No screen damage, just warped bottom case and track pad does not work.

As a graphic designer, I am a computer savvy person, but not when it comes to parts! Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!

- 2010 MacBook Pro 15.4"
- 2.4Ghz core i-5
- 8GB Ram
- Upgraded to 500GB SSD
- Serial No: W80156HMAGU

Attachments

• IMG_7509.JPG
    IMG_7509.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,100
  • IMG_7510.JPG
    IMG_7510.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,346
  • IMG_7511.JPG
    IMG_7511.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 592

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
If the battery is swollen,and it looks that ugly,scavenge the parts you can,and leave the rest to nearest garbage recycling station.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The bulging bottom plate and pushed-out trackpad indicate that the battery is swelling.

YOU NEED TO DEAL WITH THIS RIGHT AWAY (shouting intentional).
A bulging battery could suddenly short out and catch fire.

At the very least, open the back and then carefully remove the battery and either take it to a brick-n-mortar Apple store for disposal, or perhaps your town has a recycling center that will take it.
You DO NOT want to keep this inside the house.

Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved in removing it (use the right tools).

You can salvage the internal SSD and put it into an external USB3 case, then use it with any other Mac for additional storage or a "backup booter".

The MacBook -might- need a new trackpad (sometimes just getting the battery out resolves the problem with the existing one). Trackpads are relatively cheap and easily replaceable.

With a replaced battery and trackpad, the MacBook might remain quite usable.
Or... could be sold for parts.

Reactions: TonyK

banannieannie123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
Erm, a new 512GB SSD can be bought for under $200. Why would anyone pay that kind of money for a 6 year old used SSD?

Hi there. Thanks for your input. I did a Google search and that's what came up. I don't know a lot about parts, so that's why I posted here asking for help.
[doublepost=1498234274][/doublepost]
The bulging bottom plate and pushed-out trackpad indicate that the battery is swelling.

YOU NEED TO DEAL WITH THIS RIGHT AWAY (shouting intentional).
A bulging battery could suddenly short out and catch fire.

At the very least, open the back and then carefully remove the battery and either take it to a brick-n-mortar Apple store for disposal, or perhaps your town has a recycling center that will take it.
You DO NOT want to keep this inside the house.

Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved in removing it (use the right tools).

You can salvage the internal SSD and put it into an external USB3 case, then use it with any other Mac for additional storage or a "backup booter".

The MacBook -might- need a new trackpad (sometimes just getting the battery out resolves the problem with the existing one). Trackpads are relatively cheap and easily replaceable.

With a replaced battery and trackpad, the MacBook might remain quite usable.
Or... could be sold for parts.

Thank you! Someone else posted about the danger of the battery being swollen (I had no idea that was what was going on) but I didn't realize it could catch fire. I will take care of it today. I appreciate you taking the time to warn me about this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.