Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2016
Hi folks,

Greetings. I've ordered the iPhone 12pro in gold color and cannot wait to receive it in the mail.

Please enlighten me. I've been using my SE1 since 2016, so I'm really behind on Apple technology. For initial setup, should I go for factory default and download every app manually? Or should I just "synch" the two phones and make them look the same (is this what happens)? Before everything happens, I need to upload to iCloud, right? I haven't done it in a long time.

I want to enjoy newer technology, but am very STUCK on my regular apps. Which would take more time? Maybe I should set aside a huge chunk of time. What are some things I need to consider? How do I disconnect/ erase all data on the SE1 once the migration is done?

Thank you for your response. Cheers!

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
You already have your answer. The data transfer tool for new iOS devices described in the above post worked for me and I strongly recommend to give it a go.

Another approach is to start fresh without applying a backup and then get the apps you need piece by piece when necessary.

There is no wrong or right.

fridayxiii

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
Tampa Bay, FL
I usually find it easier to setup a new phone from a backup of the old. I set my XR and 12 Pro side by side and let the Apple magic take over. One reason to start fresh and setup as a new phone is if you'd had issues with your other phone. Sometimes legacy apps (older apps that still function but no longer updated by the vendor) can cause issues in iOS, but it's fairly rare. If you'd had any issues with iOS or the apps not working as expected, random crashes, etc. that might be a reason to install your apps one by one. Otherwise, save the time and just do a wholesale transfer.

Reactions: GrandeLatte

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
I used to install everything as a new phone, thinking that was going to be better, just like old days formatting Windows XP haha

But no, is the same, is even a lot better, everything transfers fast and clean. You can make a cleaning process on the old phone before the switch, delete apps you don´t use for example, or photos, but the new iphone is not going to be faster or better because of a "new device" install.

bmodi

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2015
Germany
Even if you use the side by side transfer all the apps and data get downloaded like if you would install everything manually....it’s just easier and you still have a fresh phone.

Reactions: Dwood1970

GrandeLatte

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2016
I used to install everything as a new phone, thinking that was going to be better, just like old days formatting Windows XP haha

But no, is the same, is even a lot better, everything transfers fast and clean. You can make a cleaning process on the old phone before the switch, delete apps you don´t use for example, or photos, but the new iphone is not going to be faster or better because of a "new device" install.

You read my mind. I was thinking it would be "cleaner" if I start my iPhone as a "new device" then add on the apps. But based on all the answers here, I'm now relaxed about just doing a "side by side".

Haha. I don't need a cleaning process on my old device, it's already bare minimum. I'm actually proud of myself that I have so few apps. But I have TOO many photos and there's no humanly possible way to trim my photo collection.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I setup from backup every year and have never had issues. This year the side by side makes it fun and easy. It is truly like magic and takes very little time.

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
I would say sync and only restore photos and messages. Start fresh for the least amount of possible issues.

I’ve seen too many issues and problems and bad battery life from others doing side by side, iCloud restore, backup restore, etc. to do anything but a fresh install.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I would say sync and only restore photos and messages. Start fresh for the least amount of possible issues.

I’ve seen too many issues and problems and bad battery life from others doing side by side, iCloud restore, backup restore, etc. to do anything but a fresh install.
Like how many?

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Well that is concerning as I was considering doing the phone to phone transfer for the first time rather than setting up as new ...

It has worked for plenty people. Give it a try and test your phone afterwards. You can always delete it and set it up as new if all else doesn’t work out.

Apple ships millions of iPhones and the software and migration helpers get better too. They often enough know what they’re doing.

Last edited:

F308gt4

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2020
I always set up as new, but this year, for the first time I did side by side setup. It was so easy and fast. No issues. Only downside is that it is boring. Everything was setup perfectly, so I didn’t get to spend any time tinkering, and instead had no excuse but to get back to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.