Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJAA

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 26, 2023
I am using Numbers version 12.1

Under Preferences / Auto Correction I have unchecked every box, yet the data I input into cells still automatically changes.

When, for instance, I input 7:00, then click on the cell again to add further information later, the cell automatically changes my input to "11/26/2023 7:00:00 AM", which is absolutely not what I want; I NEED the data to read: 7:00, and I don't want to have to retype it every time I click on the cell to add further information.

How do I stop cells from automatically assuming my input is a "time" and changing my data?

Another problem I encounter is that I sometimes need to input a number followed by a '+' sign (e.g. "1+"), but the cells automatically remove the '+' from my data.

I am not trying to create a formula, I just NEED the data to read (number)(+).

Is there any way to command the program to accept my input as it is without these automatic changes?

I would prefer a functionality that, like a text document, just allows me to input WHATEVER I choose with NO "auto correction" whatsoever.

TJAA

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 26, 2023
Nevermind, I figured out the solution: under "format", I just needed to change the "data format" to "text". Now it works how I want!

robbinia

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
UK
to enter text directly and not have Numbers reformat it, prefix the text you type with ', e.g. '1+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.