Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Dear all

I own a 64gb 4K aTv. Is there a way to store my video on the aTV instead using airplay from my Catalina system?

Yesterday evening I wanted to see a video and using aTV app on Catalina I wasn't able to sync. The only way I found was to use AirPlay. But using AirPlay mean I need my macintosh running. And that's not why I bought my aTV.

Any help?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Dear all

I own a 64gb 4K aTv. Is there a way to store my video on the aTV instead using airplay from my Catalina system?

Yesterday evening I wanted to see a video and using aTV app on Catalina I wasn't able to sync. The only way I found was to use AirPlay. But using AirPlay mean I need my macintosh running. And that's not why I bought my aTV.

Any help?
AFAIK, there is no way of permanently storing videos on the ATV4K.

There are various work arounds to get video to play on the ATV, such as from iTunes, the cloud, media servers, PLEX, Infuse, VLC, and others.

Could you elaborate on the video that you would like to play?

Reactions: CC88

CC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Could you elaborate on the video that you would like to play?

Sure... I have some videos from my drone. I don't want to have my mac running to see them.

In the past I can put my videos over my aTV and my mac in sleep mode.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Yeah, I’m not real happy with the solutions. Right now I’m using handbrake to convert to mpg4 and using PLEX to serve it to my smartTV from my 2018 mac mini. But the sound and video are not synced. You’d think today this would be easy :/

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
In the past I can put my videos over my aTV and my mac in sleep mode.
How did you do it in the past?
With the first aTV I can store my video over it via iTunes.
Oh, I thought you meant you used to be able to do it with the ATV4K, but wasn't able to do it now.

The first gen ATV was the only one capable of internal storage without hacks.
[automerge]1572026628[/automerge]
But the sound and video are not synced.
I haven't had this issue with any of my ATVs, nor my one smart TV, but IIRC, there is a setting in the Plex app settings to adjust the audio sync.

I personally have had a really good experience with PLEX, and have purchased the lifetime PLEX pass membership.

Although, this sounds like it won't be a suitable solution for the OP, due to not wanting to use a local media server.

I think that iCloud Photos would be the idea solution for the OP, because it would be in the cloud, wouldn't need to worry about having your Mac turned on all the time, and works pretty well.

A downside to the iCloud Photos for me is that it sometimes seems to take a long time for videos to load, but not always.

Last edited:

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Sorry for that. Though that 64gb would be useful for something other than for the apps.
With all aTV-s past the original, you need to have some computer up and running as a server. It could be Apple's (iTunes purchases, iCloud Photos) or your own (Mac/PC or some NAS).
PS that internal storage is used for media buffering but not as permanent user storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.