Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodsawya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2019
Hi everyone, I've got a iPhone/iTunes podcast syncing predicament. I've got some podcasts I've added to my iTunes on my Mac that are not available through the podcast app. I want to sync these podcasts to my iPhone, but I do NOT want to sync all of the podcasts on my phone to my computer. Is this possible? I think it might be possible if I check the "Manually manage music and videos" option, but then I would need to manually add new music to my phone whenever I add it to my iTunes, which I do not want to do. I want to continue syncing my music, but either manually manage podcasts, or sync them one way only. Someone please tell me if there is a way to do this?

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
That is such a reasonable question. I love how Apple's Podcasts apps have advanced, but I've found myself confused by its implementation, syncing and settings proportional to my delight. Default settings, sync settings, custom settings… downloading episodes versus "saving" them, automatically storing and deleting them, "limiting" them. Apple Watch reporting on the lack of an Internet connection when you try to play one, but never indicating whether episodes are downloaded to it.

I'm usually satisfied with my ability to intuit, test and reverse-engineer the thinking behind Apple's apps, but I blinked a few days ago and thought to myself: this is the first Apple content consumption app that needs a manual.

So I'd like to expand on your request, and ask the community whether anyone has found a source that demystifies Podcasts – in iTunes, and in iOS – in full, comprehensible detail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.