Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ndwgolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Phuket Thailand
Guys,
I bought a Nikon D70 with a standard lens and also a separate zoom lens about a year ago, I have taken some incredible pictures with it, I have also taken some really bad pictures with it and too be honest with you I have know idea why the good ones are good and the bad ones are bad.
My question is, is there any online sites that I can view that would help me more understand why some pictures are very good and why other pictures are so bad.
I have tried reading some camera magazines but to be honest with you it all sounds gobble-de-gook.
I am finding more time on my hands right now and would like to get into photography a little more and start to use some of the D-70 features rather than use the AUTO shooting mode all the time.
Any help would be much appreciated

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
First, I've never really known any magazines related to photography to be helpful for people who want to learn about photography.

Online forums are helpful, but you must sift through a fair amount of crap to get to what you want sometimes.

Some great sites are:
Just to name a few.

I find Thom Hogan to be an amazing resource. He has a book on the D70 I think you will find to be very useful.

You need to learn what your camera can and cannot do. It sounds like you've just gotten lucky sometimes and you can't repeat the process if you had to. That is not great. However, there are many people who get lucky enough to make a fair living.

Your first goal should be to learn the camera as I said. Second to that when you do see a shot that looked great you need to go back and review the exif data. What was the aperture? What was the shutter speed? If you changed anything what would happen? Do you know what happens when you use a slower shutter speed or a wider aperture? These are things you need to know but first you need to know how to change them on your camera.

Good luck.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have tried reading some camera magazines but to be honest with you it all sounds gobble-de-gook.

Yes, those magazine are there to sell ads. What you need in a book. There are more "intro to photography" type books around than anyone could count. They've been writing them for 100 years.

Look at your library first then a bookstore. Don't worry it it idoes not cover the D70. Any book that you like even if it talks about 35mm film will work for you. (The differences between film and digital as very minor.) There are some on-line sites but you really should find a real book. The subject requires a 100+ pages to do right.

The technical side of photography is easy. You can learn that by reading. The other side is learning the art. I think the best way there is to find a large oversize picture book and find some that you like then set out to copy that style.

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
By far, the very best money I've ever spent for photography (I've spent the requisite thousands like everyone ;) ) was the $300 or so I spent to take a photography class at my local community college.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Guys,
I bought a Nikon D70 with a standard lens and also a separate zoom lens about a year ago, I have taken some incredible pictures with it, I have also taken some really bad pictures with it and too be honest with you I have know idea why the good ones are good and the bad ones are bad.
My question is, is there any online sites that I can view that would help me more understand why some pictures are very good and why other pictures are so bad.

Hi, being a Nikon user myself, when i got my first DSLR a D70s,
i found that using it in Aperture priority gave best results, but that said, for
advice back then i used the Nikonians website, mainly Nikon users worldwide,
Some great advice over there:

:) Nikonians ;)

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
I agree with taking a class. You bought a camera that is very powerful if you know how to use it. Sure, it does have a full auto setting (probably where your good shots came from) but you can also control every aspect of the shot making it even better. A class on basic photography will help to break it down for you so that you understand film and shutter speeds. Community colleges typically have them.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Just so we're clear - when you say "good" and "bad" with regards to your photos, do you mean "in focus" (for good) and "blurry" (for bad)? Are you talking about photos that are too light or too dark? What exactly is "good" and "bad" in this case?

ndwgolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Phuket Thailand
Just so we're clear - when you say "good" and "bad" with regards to your photos, do you mean "in focus" (for good) and "blurry" (for bad)? Are you talking about photos that are too light or too dark? What exactly is "good" and "bad" in this case?
I am talking about to dark or to bright, i also have problems with taking pictures in bright sun light (I live in Phuket Thailand)

ndwgolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Phuket Thailand
I agree with taking a class. You bought a camera that is very powerful if you know how to use it. Sure, it does have a full auto setting (probably where your good shots came from) but you can also control every aspect of the shot making it even better. A class on basic photography will help to break it down for you so that you understand film and shutter speeds. Community colleges typically have them.
I like the idea of a class, I will make some inquires here in Phuket and see what they have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.