Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SportsPhan8

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
I haven't seen this question asked on the forum before.

On Tuesday I'm getting a new iPad pro 12.9, the first iPad i've ever had, and I was wondering how to properly train it's battery after the first time?

Do I charge it from the get-go, or drain the battery as much as possibly and charge it then?

Thank you to anyone with help.

ms88privat

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2016
I haven't seen this question asked on the forum before.

On Tuesday I'm getting a new iPad pro 12.9, the first iPad i've ever had, and I was wondering how to properly train it's battery after the first time?

Do I charge it from the get-go, or drain the battery as much as possibly and charge it then?

Thank you to anyone with help.

Please do NOT drain the battery as much as possible. That is the only thing what is bad. And maybe do not charge it fully if it is in the hot sun. Just stay in between, also if you store it somewhere.

https://www.apple.com/lae/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Draining the battery until empty is a different battery tech, not relevant for most of todays products.

tldr: just use it!

Reactions: alecgold

SportsPhan8

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2016
Please do NOT drain the battery as much as possible. That is the only thing what is bad. And maybe do not charge it fully if it is in the hot sun. Just stay in between, also if you store it somewhere.

https://www.apple.com/lae/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Draining the battery until empty is a different battery tech, not relevant for most of todays products.

tldr: just use it!

Thank you very much for your help, appreciate it. I've gotten conflicting advice from people in the past about stuff like this. Perhaps that's why some of my devices, like my MacBook, the battery doesn't last as long as it should.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Charge it indoor at normal temperature,the control circuit in apples original charger will stop overcharging,don't use the iPad in too hot or too cold environment,and try to keep the battery well charged,and you won't have any trouble.
All this talk about "training" batteries has nothing to do with modern dry cell batteries,it's just a relic from the days when cars had open cell batteries,where you had to train or break in new batteries,and also,every now and then check acid concentration.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
What, like the way one trains a dragon? You don't need to train the battery, just use it and charge it when you need to.

Reactions: ericwn

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
What, like the way one trains a dragon? You don't need to train the battery, just use it and charge it when you need to.
As I wrote,"training" batteries is something that was necessary in car batteries about 40 years ago or more,it has nothing to do with modern batteries of any kind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.