Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackBQuick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
I've got a grandfathered att unlimited plan and I use a lot of data. (6ish gb/mo) I'm out of contract and would love to update my 5 to a SE. What's the best route to go?

Skorpio

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
SC USA
I too, have a grandfathered UDP since the iphone 4, and have had every generation of iphone up to current 6s/s plus. I buy my phones outright and put the current SIM card in and that's it. At&t seems to recognize it in their database with no issues. I would imagine you can call AT&T to confirm your phone changes if needed.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I always call and speak to an agent to confirm my UDP and activate whichever phone I've chosen.

ATT isn't try to trick you out of your UDP, in my experience.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I've got a grandfathered att unlimited plan and I use a lot of data. (6ish gb/mo) I'm out of contract and would love to update my 5 to a SE. What's the best route to go?

Simply buy the phone outright, or do AT&T Next. Those are your two options. Whichever channel you purchase through, just tell the person who's processing your order that you'd like to keep your plan as is. If you choose to do next, it'll just add the installment plan on your bill, and a $15 renewal fee. If you pay full price up front, nothing changes. I recommend visiting a corporate store, or calling the customer care number, as opposed to visiting a national retailer like Best Buy/Walmart/Sams Club etc, or an Authorized Retailer. You can find which stores are which on att's website using the store locator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.