Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timunderwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Hi all - I'm a long time Quake fan and wanted to play Quake Champions but didn't want to have to buy a PC to do it. I've been using a remote computing service called Paperspace and it's been really great. I'm able to play Quake on the highest settings, I often get a ping of less than 10ms and if you use the right setup it feels very close to the real thing. Which is pretty amazing given I just have a 2013 MacBook Air.

Thought I'd post my 'setup'

1. Got a free credit of $10 using a referral code (below) which basically meant I could try it out for free:
https://www.paperspace.com/&R=JLIM6O

2. Selected the GPU+ setting and added a public IP for $3

3. Installed Parsec.tv client on both remote machine and client machine.

4. Start the remote machine via Paperspace interface in browser. Start Parsec client on remote machine. Close browser.

5. Open up Parsec on client machine, hit connect and you're away! Go install Steam or whatever you like.

One thing I've noted is that it's best to plug in a Windows formatted keyboard and mouse, and up the resolution on the remote machine to match your monitor on your client machine. Other than that, it's super simple and the referral code meant the first month was free.

Happy to answer any questions if I can help.

timunderwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Are you basically controlling a game remotely that's running online? What are the ongoing costs of this setup?

...Yes, basically. The game is running on a remote machine (a windows machine so no bootcamp issues etc), and you're accessing it through the Parsec client. When you do that it runs in full screen on whatever resolution you want.

You can cancel anytime and the costs are by the hour, so you can control it. I paid about $15 my first month, but I don't play that much. There are flat per month fees available. Point is there's very little barrier to trying it and certainly, I find it much preferable to dual boot.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Personally, I'd prefer a dual boot if it's economical. However with the price of Apple hardware, my last MBP, I bailed on serious gaming via my Mac, although it does run Smite (see signature). :)

Is there a set price per hour or does it depend on the game? Is it possible to meet coop/compete against friends in these types of games?

timunderwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2017
Certainly if the game runs ok, then any local hardware will be preferable. Totally agree - but for games like Quake, I can't see that it's going to work out without a very high-end new mac or external GPU (I may be wrong, open to correction).

You’re literally using what feels like a regular, highly spec’d PC, so you can do anything you like in the game that you would a local machine. The price per hour is dependent on the config of the machine. I use the GPU+ setup which is 40cents per hour.

Really do recommend just trying it out for an hour or so and see what you think. If you use the referal code, it should cost you nothing and I’d be very interested to hear other’s opinions.

Personally, I'd prefer a dual boot if it's economical. However with the price of Apple hardware, my last MBP, I bailed on serious gaming via my Mac, although it does run Smite (see signature). :)

Is there a set price per hour or does it depend on the game? Is it possible to meet coop/compete against friends in these types of games?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.