Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Hi All,

I want to be able to have my MBP running when I close the lid.

I have gone into System Preferences and in the Energy Saver option, I have selected 'never' in Computer sleep.

I am asking because, if I have a download/torrent going on and I close the lid, the download/torrent stops.

The MBP springs back to life once I lift the lid again, but I can see that the torrent was stopped in the time the lid was closed.

I have attached a screen shot of my MBP specs.

upload_2017-8-23_14-45-52.png

Thanks in Advance for the replies.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
The computer always shuts down when you close the lid, unless it's connected to an external display and power. There are kexts available to override this behaviour but it's the sort of thing you'll forget about.

Most apps like that should have a "Prevent sleep" option, just use that and turn off the display? Sometimes simplest solution is the best.

Reactions: MBP_187

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
The computer always shuts down when you close the lid, unless it's connected to an external display and power. There are kexts available to override this behaviour but it's the sort of thing you'll forget about.

Most apps like that should have a "Prevent sleep" option, just use that and turn off the display? Sometimes simplest solution is the best.

Thank you for your reply New_Mac_Smell.

I usually have the MBP connected to the power when I close down the lid.

I'm using 'Deluge' for my torrenting, and wanted to know if there was any way to keep torrenting with lid closed. I cannot seem to find a 'prevent sleep' option, I will search more.

Thanks Again.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

This is key. My work machine is an HP and will run an external display on battery with the lid shut.
The other day I learned my MBP behaves differently.

Heruhur

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2017
Oldebroek
use "amphetamine" to prevent you mac from sleeping
downloadable in the app store.
it will prevent your mac from sleeping when the display is off, not sure if it'll allow the same with the lid closed.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
This is key. My work machine is an HP and will run an external display on battery with the lid shut.
The other day I learned my MBP behaves differently.

Doesn't it also require a keyboard and/or mouse too? I remember connecting my MacBook Pro to power and monitor but it still went to sleep until I plugged in my keyboard and mouse.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Doesn't it also require a keyboard and/or mouse too? I remember connecting my MacBook Pro to power and monitor but it still went to sleep until I plugged in my keyboard and mouse.

Good Question.
I had the OWC thunderbolt dock. It was great when it worked but too many times I had connectivity issues, lock ups and so on.
I have been thinking about simply getting a new 2017 mbp and hub for the convenience factor.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
But then how does it work when using external display? will there be no risk of over heating then?
It will be fine. Your MBP is designed for use while in clamshell mode and it will not overheat or hurt anything. I have been running various MacBooks in clamshell mode for years and never had a problem.

MBP_187

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Dhaka, Bangladesh
It will be fine. Your MBP is designed for use while in clamshell mode and it will not overheat or hurt anything. I have been running various MacBooks in clamshell mode for years and never had a problem.

Thank you Weaselboy for your reply.

I find my MacBook Pro to 'turn on' as soon as I lift the lid, but if I close the lid, I think it goes to sleep; since the torrents seem to be stopped.

I have set 'never goto sleep' in the System preferences.

I am mainly asking so that I can continue my torrents/download with the lid closed; which I cannot do now.
[doublepost=1504021619][/doublepost]
You could also simply setup a hot corner or gesture to turn the screen off.

Thank you snaky69 for the reply.

I want to be able to close the lid and have it functioning, I would like to keep the lid closed when I move away from my MBP.

Reactions: Weaselboy

HippyRabbitFish

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2013
Huntsville, AL
Closed Clamshell-mode requires external keyboard & mouse/trackpad and external display, but should enable functioning in that manner. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201834

I haven't tested with Caffeine/Amphetamine/InsomniaX, but if InsomniaX, alone doesn't do the trick, the combination will probably work. I've seen that there may be issues in Sierra, but nothing about issues on Yosemite.

Let us know how it works/doesn't work. I'm sure you are not the last person to want this particular functionality!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.