Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoCalGadgetGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
:apple: How to Wear Your Apple Watch While Playing (non-contact) Sports :apple:
Step 1
  • Put your stock rubber sport band on your watch (if not already installed)
    • Wearing any other band such as made from nylon, metal, etc, will subject it to sweat and moisture

Step 2
  • Cover your watch with two sweatbands
    • You could use just one, but in my experience, two offer better protection
    • Recommended length of each sweatband: 13 cm (5 inches)
      • Stay away from the 8 cm (3 inches) sweatbands as they could slip up your arm, exposing the watch
      • My recommendation (shown in photo below) is the Nike Dri-FIT Home & Away Doublewide Reversible Wristbands (2-pack) from either Dick's Sporting Goods (USD$10.00) or Amazon (USD$13.25)
Step 3
  • Enjoy your game! :cool:

p.s. This is mennt for non-contact sports like softball, racquetball, basketball, etc.—not intended for (American) football, hockey, roller derby, swimming/surfing, and the like.

GtwDfhY.jpg

Last edited:

larmende

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
Usually in most sports where you face an opponent and are not being separated by a net or similar you have to take all jewellery and watches off. Basketball, judo, soccer (football) are the ones I experienced. Covering them up makes no difference, the referee shouldn't let you onto the pitch/field/mat/...

Running, swimming, tennis, badminton, ... you can usually leave them on. And there wouldn't be a need to cover them up.

SoCalGadgetGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Reactions: jagooch

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
LOL! :) I meant this thread to really be for sports like softball, racquetball, basketball, etc.—not intended for football, hockey, roller derby and the like.

Football um.. soccer (my bad) is ok. You can't use the arm anyway. I play football my whole life and rarely anything touched my arm. :)

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
What about taking it off when playing sports? I would be more concerned about injuring myself or others than the watch itself.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
There’s also the strap that fits on your upper arm, has a clip for the watch body, and a circular window for the LED sensors to read your heart rate.

SoCalGadgetGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
What about taking it off when playing sports? I would be more concerned about injuring myself or others than the watch itself.
Some folks want to record their vitals during these types of activities. The sweatbands can also help to reduce the chance of injury to yourself or others.
[doublepost=1506540911][/doublepost]
There’s also the strap that fits on your upper arm, has a clip for the watch body, and a circular window for the LED sensors to read your heart rate.
I would be afraid of falling and using my shoulder/upper arm to help break my fall. I play a lot of softball (shortstop) and dive quite a bit for the balls.

SoCalGadgetGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Here's another use for my dual-sweatband solution—weightlifting! I wear the Versa-Gripps on my wrists/hands and they are made from fairly thick leather and the wrist straps are very thick. So thick that they rest up against my watch. When my wrist bends back, they certainly rub on them—and it's not a gentle rub, either! The sweatbands also helps to protect the watch if you are pulling cable (chest flys, cable crossovers, etc) as the cable can tend to scrape across your wrists.

iHxVyDE.png

Reactions: jagooch

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
Awesome idea! Another option in going to look into is a Bluetooth heartrate monitor like the BodyBug that is designed for use during sports. I don't know if it's made any longer. you wore it underneath your shirt and it went around your torso with the sensor over you heart.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I wear my watch when I play ice hockey (goalie) for the pulse tracking. The trapper glove has a large wrist cuff/pad to protect it (and my wrist for that matter but I use gauntlet style latex glove to separate it from touching my many years used nasty trapper glove.

Never mind the miserable posters on here, OP. Appreciate the time you took to post this. Probably overweight, out of shape and never played a sport in their lives lol.

Reactions: SoCalGadgetGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.