Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PieTunes

Contributor
Original poster
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
Greetings,

For those who Boot Camped, I'm curious about something. I might do it after I get my 2020 iMac delivered. How up to date does Apple maintain the drivers? If I receive my machine and start the process, are the included drivers recent and compatible with the new hardware in the 2020s? Does Apple at the very least update the drivers with new hardware releases?

Are the Boot Camp drivers used during the initial setup just the "starter" drivers to get your Windows portion up and running, and subsequent driver updates are performed within Windows? Or do all drivers have to come from Apple and I'm stuck on their release schedule? I'm just wondering how it is when it comes to maintaining an up to date Windows system.

Thanks in advance for any information and advice.

Reactions: MiniApple and Spk1

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
Are the Boot Camp drivers used during the initial setup just the "starter" drivers to get your Windows portion up and running, and subsequent driver updates are performed within Windows?

Yes, Boot Camp uses a Windows program to manage some settings and install drivers. Boot Camp installer must be run once in Windows. Afterwards you should visit AMD directly for the most current graphics drivers.

After that let Windows, Apple Software Update, and AMDs tools auto-update. Use the included Microsoft Defender Antivirus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.