Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BenPB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
I was wondering if anyone could speak to the viability of the 5c in 2016.

Let me explain: I have a Note 4, and while I really like it, lately I've been craving a smaller phone for spring/summer. When I upgrade in Oct I fully intend get an iPhone, likely the SE. Right now, I'm just itchy to get back into the iOS ecosystem and want a small, lovely phone that I don't have to worry about breaking. I'm thinking 5c. Its the right size, a really playful design, gets all the fun apps... plus they are affordable enough to buy on a whim!

I'm just curious if it is still usable. I mean, it is an iPhone 5 inside. I'm mainly using it for messaging, calls, streaming music, social photography... pretty basic stuff. While the 5s clearly has its benefits, the one feature I dig most (Apple Pay) is missing from both AND gives me an excuse to buy an Apple Watch :)

Oh, and call me crazy, but I also think getting a 5c now will make the SE feel way more exciting come fall, since it will be a new (to me) design, loaded with new (to me) features.

In short, would an iPhone 5c be too frustrating to use for the next few months?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I have a 5 - its pretty good, nightshift and ad blockers are the only software things it misses out on. Apps open fast, but animations stutter at times, especially with low battery mode on. The biggest annoyance is the battery, it just drains so fast!

Reactions: BenPB

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I have a 5 - its pretty good, nightshift and ad blockers are the only software things it misses out on. Apps open fast, but animations stutter at times, especially with low battery mode on. The biggest annoyance is the battery, it just drains so fast!

Might be time for a new battery. Mine was draining fast also. But I had a new battery installed, and it lasts over a day quite easily now.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Might be time for a new battery. Mine was draining fast also. But I had a new battery installed, and it lasts over a day quite easily now.

My battery is at 94 percent health having been replaced last year. Never had good battery life, same goes for the other iPhone 5 in the house. Apple says its because I've restored from a backup, but I'm not loosing 4 years of texts because Apple can't be bothered to design a good system of transferring data between iPhones.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
If it's giving you fits, I would get it replaced before it destroys your whole phone (or at least make sure you're always backing up your device). Li-ion batteries have a finite life, and when they start to deteriorate, it can get very ugly very quickly.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
If it's giving you fits, I would get it replaced before it destroys your whole phone (or at least make sure you're always backing up your device). Li-ion batteries have a finite life, and when they start to deteriorate, it can get very ugly very quickly.

Surely a 9 month old battery with 94 percent health isn't going to go bad that quickly?

I think the battery issues are just part of owning a 5. I've had 3 of them (1 original + 2 apple warranty replacements) and my Dad has had two as well (1 original 1 warranty replacement) and all of them have been fairly dodgy in the battery department, its just that iOS 9 seems to have taken a bigger toll on mine.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Surely a 9 month old battery with 94 percent health isn't going to go bad that quickly?

I think the battery issues are just part of owning a 5. I've had 3 of them (1 original + 2 apple warranty replacements) and my Dad has had two as well (1 original 1 warranty replacement) and all of them have been fairly dodgy in the battery department, its just that iOS 9 seems to have taken a bigger toll on mine.
Ah, I hadn't seen that it had 94% health when I replied. I had only seen your first comment regarding the rapidly-depleting battery as your primary source of complaint.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Ah, I hadn't seen that it had 94% health when I replied. I had only seen your first comment regarding the rapidly-depleting battery as your primary source of complaint.
Oh yeah :p I don't know whats up with the battery in all honesty. I have a (possibly mad) theory that people who restored their iPhone 5's from 3GS backups have been doomed to battery issues.

My Dad restored his 5 (and has continued to use it) on the backup of his 3GS, I got his 3GS when he upgraded and also laster moved to a 5, and again I also restored from a backup. I also know of about 7 friends/ family members who went from a 3GS to a 5, they all had the same issue of dodgy battery life.

Sea Bass

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
The A6 is still fairly fast in normal use. Aside from the occasional animation stutter, the iPhone 5/5c is perfectly useable and doesn't feel slow on iOS 9.

Reactions: BenPB

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I've had a 5 for the last three years, and it's been a wonderful phone to me. I replaced the battery last year, and it's been going strong ever since. It still does what I need out of my phone, and hasn't shown any signs of slowing down yet; Night Shift would be nice to have, but I spend my nights on my iPad that supports it, so not a great loss there for me. I don't feel a burning desire to upgrade any time soon, although the SE is incredibly tempting!

Reactions: Sea Bass and BenPB

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I think the 5c will be good for your needs still - they're dirt-cheap and still run iOS 9 quite well. I use one as a dedicated AirPlay/Chromecast/media device and still think the interface is snappy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sea Bass and BenPB
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.