Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I'm looking for a way to replicate how these images look.

http://surfingthemag.com/surfing-ph...ept/all-access-steve-sherman-mundaka-round-2/

Check out the second picture in the LightBox.

I've often heard that the best way to get better is to look at pictures you personally like and try to emulate the style and methods by which they were taken.

It seems that the yellows, oranges, and reds are heavily saturated.

Any recommendations?

Yakamoto

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Planet Earth
If i'm looking at the right image it seems to have a strong yelow overcast.
The best way to acheive that is to use color balance in photoshop, just move the yellow slider over or any other color you like. You could also up the yellow saturation in whatever editing program you use. Also looks like they up'd the red saturation a bit and increased the black point in levels. Good composition goes a long way also.

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Yakamoto said:
If i'm looking at the right image it seems to have a strong yelow overcast.
The best way to acheive that is to use color balance in photoshop, just move the yellow slider over or any other color you like. You could also up the yellow saturation in whatever editing program you use. Also looks like they up'd the red saturation a bit and increased the black point in levels. Good composition goes a long way also.

Thanks. I'll try that.

I don't like that effect...it's a bit much...!!! :eek:

I agree, but I also like that effect when taking pictures of people. I usually give my images without people a colder feel to them.

job

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Looks to me like someone had their WB set for too high a color temperature.

Do you think he'd do that for all of the photo-sets?

It seemed to be a trend for all the pictures he took in Spain.

Although I guess a WB mistake wouldn't be out of the question...

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Do you think he'd do that for all of the photo-sets?

It seemed to be a trend for all the pictures he took in Spain.

Although I guess a WB mistake wouldn't be out of the question...

But in the age of Photoshop, he could also repair such a mistake pretty well. I think it was probably intentional.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Take a photo and change the white balance, and maybe the tint so that it's slightly more "green."

I don't know. I'm sitting outside, and while I can definitely see the yellow-ness of the photo, it kind of ruins it.

hqsbud

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
I'm with Yakamoto with the method: it's most likely color balance.

The sample below shows the original photo, then a version done in Apple's Aperture with the black and gray tint wheels slammed to yellow while the white tint wheel is slammed to blue. The last version is in Photoshop with a Color Balance adjustment layer. The Yellow/Blue slider is set to Yellow in the Shadows and Midtones, and left alone in Highlights.

Attachments

• yellowbmw.jpg
    yellowbmw.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 70

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Looks like he tried to shoot people with Fujifilm Velvia and with a yellow filter on.

I don't like it either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.