Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Hey everyone!
I've decided that a 28 to 35 millimeter lens would make a good first serious prime for me. With the Pentax 31mm Limited costing $1499, my only choice expect for various used lenses is the Sigma. The specs are certainly fairly impressive for a $370 lens. My main concerns are image sharpness and bokeh quality (I know it has 9 blades, but something more qualitative would help). Is this a good lens?
Thanks much,
wmmk

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Isn't the Sigma a 30 mm prime lens? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Anyway, if other photographers have said they're getting great photos with it, and have very few complaints about image quality, then go for it.

And besides, good bokeh isn't always about the number of blades. Some 9 blade lenses won't deliver bokeh that's as nice as from another lens. It's just the lens design, I guess.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Sigma has 3 lenses at f/1.8 (20mm, 24mm, 28mm) and one at f/1.4 (30mm).

Out of these, the 30mm has the best reputation.

I had a 28mm f/1.8 and i had a terrible sample. variation is very much an issue with this lens. I had missed focus, poor to abysmal image quality below f/4, and mediocre up until f/5.6, massive amounts of CA too.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Hey everyone!
I've decided that a 28 to 35 millimeter lens would make a good first serious prime for me. (snip) My main concerns are image sharpness and bokeh quality (I know it has 9 blades, but something more qualitative would help). Is this a good lens?

The 30mm will only work on the 1.5x to 2x crop sensors. I have it for my Canon 30D and it is exceptional in image quality and ability to control the focal plane's depth.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Isn't the Sigma a 30 mm prime lens? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Anyway, if other photographers have said they're getting great photos with it, and have very few complaints about image quality, then go for it.

And besides, good bokeh isn't always about the number of blades. Some 9 blade lenses won't deliver bokeh that's as nice as from another lens. It's just the lens design, I guess.

hmm... I'd heard of it, but did not see it on this page. Has it been discontinued? Anyhow, the 30 certainly sounds nice! How much does it go for? Is it available as a KAF2 (Pentax) Mount?

EDIT: never mind about the sigma 30. I wasn't looking at the digital only section. something to use on a pentax film camera may be nice if I buy one, but I probably won't because I could get a vintage screwmount Leica IIF with a 50mm for only $315. $640 isn't all that bad for a f1.4 lens in a focal length other than 50mm. Would HSM work on my K100D? I know that the new Pentax SDM lenses only do supersonic autofocus on the K10D body.

EDIT 2: Nice, the 30mm only $430 at amazon, but I bet I can find a slightly better deal, considering adorama has it in canon, nikon, sigma, and 4/3rds mounts for $400.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.