Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
So I wrote a post about the new M1 Pro MacBook Pro yesterday and the one thing I mentioned is how I love the hinge. It's great. However, I had some bad experiences with the hinge on my 2016 MacBook Pro (it would creak when I opened it for the first time after a few hours, it would creak when things got hot, etc). My first MacBook Pro never had this issue.

Speaking of my new Mac, it doesn't creek and the hinge is smooth and works beautifully, however I've noticed that if I leave it closed for a few hours and I open it, I can feel a slight, almost imperceptible sound - or maybe it's a tactile feeling (my wife can't even tell it's there). It's very, very, very feint - and I don't mind it at all (again, this is not a creak or anything, it's... barely anything). However, I do worry that this will get stronger after several months. On my last MacBook, the authorized Apple service told me that Apple considers such things a cosmetic defect (it does not affect the function of the screen) and that it's not covered by warranty, btw.

I have no issues now - as I said, this is barely perceptible and if I wasn't paranoid about this stuff, I wouldn't notice it. So, my question is - how are your hinges, especially on new MacBook Pros, and do you notice any (subtle) change when you open them after several hours of the lids being closed? I'm hoping very subtle variations in the feel are normal due to materials shrinking and expanding.

Reactions: mca19

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
You're paranoid because the new Pros cost $2000+, and that's a lot of money to spend on a computer. Way too much, in my opinion. But unless you're Tim Cook, you pay it because you love Apple products and hope they'll last you till they stick you in the ground. So be paranoid all you want; we all are when we shell out big bucks for Apple products. BIG BUCKS!

Reactions: Mathguru

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Smooth, no sound or odd feeling after two months, including when opening after being closed overnight.

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
No issues to report but I wish it opened more. I use mine on a stand and I open it all the way to the maximum position.

Some say using it like this might have contributed to 'flexgate' on the older models with the shorter flex cables.

Six0Four

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2020
Solid and stiff. This is nearly impossible to find on a Windows laptop and it's a very important feature for me. Hate floppy screens.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
You might be hearing the rubber gasket around the lid display frame disengage from the aluminum chassis after they've been in contact for a while. This rubber may be slightly more grippy from the factory than it needs to be, and may be sticking a bit to the aluminum chassis when the lid is closed for a while. I had this on my M1 MacBook Air, cleaning the rubber gasket (all around the display) a few times with a damp microfiber cloth remedied this.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
You might be hearing the rubber gasket around the lid display frame disengage from the aluminum chassis after they've been in contact for a while. This rubber may be slightly more grippy from the factory than it needs to be, and may be sticking a bit to the aluminum chassis when the lid is closed for a while. I had this on my M1 MacBook Air, cleaning the rubber gasket (all around the display) a few times with a damp microfiber cloth remedied this.

Actually, it does sound exactly like that - like some rubber sticking (it's very feint, but that's what it feels like). Which part is the rubber gasket? ? I'm trying to figure what part are you talking about, but I'm not 100% sure. Do you mean the rubbery part on the edges of the lid?

Edit: Yup, that's what you meant - you actually explained it well, I just didn't read well. Ok, I have cleaned it - I'll see if it helps ? Thanks!

Reactions: Sowelu

Mitchdoc

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
I get a slight click sound when going from open past 100* and start to close it. before I hit 90* it makes a small click sound always at same degree angle. Not sure if this is grounds to replace as laptop is 3 days old.

Nocturnal-G

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
I've had 4 M1 Pro's... only one had a loose hinge. Loose enough that typing caused the screen to shake.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I get a slight click sound when going from open past 100* and start to close it. before I hit 90* it makes a small click sound always at same degree angle. Not sure if this is grounds to replace as laptop is 3 days old.
I don't think you need grounds after three days. If you don't like it for any reason or no reason, you can return it for a refund.

kentzh

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2021
I believe what you said, because the last computer I submitted for a replacement had inconsistent left and right assembly, and the screens would wear each other every time I opened and closed, I couldn't stand this error, so I've replaced it with a new one.

Mitchdoc

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
I don't think you need grounds after three days. If you don't like it for any reason or no reason, you can return it for a refund.
Well what I did was find one in Stock another location bought it and brought it home. No click seems flawless....but.
The 2 screens side by side are a bit different tinted. The first is whiter red the second more yellow blue. Prefer the white on the one with the click....
Frustrating didn't know that could happen. Wondering if I go back with the first maybe the click is just an adjustment as it seems the bottom case where screws are near the hinge if I push there can make a click and maybe that is the trigger.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Wondering if I go back with the first maybe the click is just an adjustment as it seems the bottom case where screws are near the hinge if I push there can make a click and maybe that is the trigger.
Yeah, could be. An Apple Store might be willing to look at it for you. You could call Apple first and ask if it's something that can be adjusted. I know people used to add lubrication of some kind, don't know if that's possible with these.

Mitchdoc

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah, could be. An Apple Store might be willing to look at it for you. You could call Apple first and ask if it's something that can be adjusted. I know people used to add lubrication of some kind, don't know if that's possible with these.
This is not a lubricant issue. But I think the bottom case interacting with the plastic swivelling air blower is causing a click sound when the hinge is moved back from a certain angle. Either the pieces are not to tolerance causing friction or maybe the bottom plate is screen top right causing tension.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
This is not a lubricant issue. But I think the bottom case interacting with the plastic swivelling air blower is causing a click sound when the hinge is moved back from a certain angle. Either the pieces are not to tolerance causing friction or maybe the bottom plate is screen top right causing tension.
I see. There's a thread about the bottom of the lid catching or rubbing on the main case here somewhere. Don't know if that could be what you have, or if it was resolved.

Reactions: Mitchdoc

Ar23

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2022
Hey, did you return the Mac with click? I have one (1m old) which makes the same feint click sound while opening and closing..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.