Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
I'm a little over a week into the apple watch so i'm getting used to the battery drain on my iPhone but curious to know what everyone else's usage looks like. I have a used AW right now but have a brand new one coming to me today via the best buy deals so this used one will be sold soon.

last night i let my iPhone sit off the charger overnight and woke up to 86% on my iPhone (before the AW, it would normally be about 98%). So far the norm on my watch seems to be coming home with about 70% on my AW. Once i get home, i put it away and on it's charger. right now my iPhone is at 46% with some email & safari browsing.

Does bluetooth drain the iPhone battery that much? Before the AW, i could get by a full day before charging. sometimes for good measure, i'd give it a charge before leaving work. Now i need to charge it once i come back from lunch. I've disabled some notifications to my AW to help but doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

just curious of the battery life with your iPhone & AW. thanks.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm a little over a week into the apple watch so i'm getting used to the battery drain on my iPhone but curious to know what everyone else's usage looks like. I have a used AW right now but have a brand new one coming to me today via the best buy deals so this used one will be sold soon.

last night i let my iPhone sit off the charger overnight and woke up to 86% on my iPhone (before the AW, it would normally be about 98%). So far the norm on my watch seems to be coming home with about 70% on my AW. Once i get home, i put it away and on it's charger. right now my iPhone is at 46% with some email & safari browsing.

Does bluetooth drain the iPhone battery that much? Before the AW, i could get by a full day before charging. sometimes for good measure, i'd give it a charge before leaving work. Now i need to charge it once i come back from lunch. I've disabled some notifications to my AW to help but doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

just curious of the battery life with your iPhone & AW. thanks.

I would say my 7+ battery lasts longer when using the AW2 as you are not using your iPhone that much.

BT uses so little power, not enough to cause a problem.

Just charge them both while sleeping and they should be good for the day.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
I would say my 7+ battery lasts longer when using the AW2 as you are not using your iPhone that much.

that's the norm but just wanted to test out how much it drops when it's connected @ idle. 14% drop on my iPhone seems like a good amount. i also have a scheduled DND on my iPhone overnight. with the new AW coming to me today, i'll try it again and see what it does.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
that's the norm but just wanted to test out how much it drops when it's connected @ idle. 14% drop on my iPhone seems like a good amount. i also have a scheduled DND on my iPhone overnight. with the new AW coming to me today, i'll try it again and see what it does.

I use my 7+ with and without my AW2 and the battery consumption is the same.

Post what you find out.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Same here. If I have time during the day, I will even give my Apple Watch a quick charge to Prolong it. The inductive charging works so well with ease.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2002

Any apps on your iPhone taking up a large amount of battery life? Especially background activity?

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Might also depend on how often your apple watch uses the GPS of your iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.