Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
The entire press release can be read here. Hoya will be the surviving company and Pentax is the merged company. Cost was about $770M. They will operate under the name Hoya Pentax HD.

Apparently Hoya is most interested in Pentax medical stuff, they are one of only three companies that produces and markets endoscopes (little cameras they stick inside you). Pentax Imaging (the camera unit) will continue to operate as it has been.

balofagus

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Well, I believe that Hoya is assimilating Pentax into them, but keeping their name... The share trade is 0.158 Hoyas to 1 Pentax, is that a buyout? I'm glad its an optics company, I don't think that a buyout by Samsung would be a good thing, the technologies partnership is good though I think.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Please don't let this change my camera just before I get it.:( Think Pentax's lenses will get better?

Pentax, Pentax, ye hardly knew ye.

I know they'll still be around under the new name, it's just a little too much for me right now.:p

coldrain

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006
Hoya is not unknown to Pentax. One of Hoya's divisions, Tokina, already has worked together with Pentax the last few years, jointly developing new lenses. The Tokina 12-24 f4 and equivalent Pentax lens are a result from this cooperation. Also the new Tokina 16-50mm f2.8 and the Pentax 16-50 f2.8, 50-250mm f4 are coming from this cooperation in lens design.

So... this is a merger that has possibilities, especially when Samsung will be able to develop better sensors than Pentax has available to itself now.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
wow, at first, I was worried. now that I look into this, it doesn't seem so bad. as long as everything (or at least enough) will work with the K mount system I recently bought into, I'm as happy as a clam!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.