Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
So, I got the new HP Photosmart AIO Fax C309a.

I was testing a bit with Advanced Photo Paper, Premium Photo Paper and Premium Plus Photo Paper.

The Premiums are not in the recommended list in the printer manual.

I think this is because the Advanced is water resistant with this dye inks (waterproof only with HP 38 pigment inks).

But the Premium Plus is supposed to give more quality, and both Premiums better fade resistance (although the latest fade tests seem to date from 2007).

Aldo the Advanced dries in 0 minutes, while for the premiums you have to wait 1 hour before touching them. For mounting, you have to wait 24 hours for the Advanced, while it's 7 days for the Premiums.

But what difference do you actually see when the prints are new with 3 color dyes + 1 black pigment?

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
It's amazing how much difference there is between the way color (or grayscale even) lays down depending on paper. Try printing the same image on a few different papers, and use that as a guide. Aside from the archival differences, there will be a noticeable range in the visible spectrum.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I already printed the same photo one this 3 papers. Vey subtle difference, if any. That's why I was asking.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I already printed the same photo one this 3 papers. Vey subtle difference, if any. That's why I was asking.
That's why the print driver has settings for each type of paper. If you want to use paper for which there is not a preset, then you need to calibrate the printer/paper combination for best results.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
No, the presets are there, but these Premium papers do not appear in the recommended list in the manual, although they are in the consumables pages for this printer at HP's website.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
it's usually good advice to follow the guidlines for paper recommendations, but i get good results on canon printers using Epson glossy paper especially on black & white images,
but i did spend a few weeks experimenting a few years back till i found my perfect printer/paper match, but it is expensive testing papers till your happy :) the wife wasn't as happy as me when she saw how much it cost testing papers :( but she loves me and got a holiday out of it :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.