Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steamers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
New England
From the Terminal run "caffeinate -isd" and leave the window open but out of the way.

It seems to have cured the random screen freezing in High Sierra where everything would continue working after the screen in focus froze while leaving the mouse to move about.

These freezes seemed to have video activity in common. Occasionally simply moving the mouse would freeze the screen but more likely it would occur during the screensaver or a youtube video.

I have tossed everything at it in the last 24 hours with no freezes. In the past the machine has gone for days without a freeze so this may not prove to be the fix.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Caffeinate eventually dies as well.

Now I find this. So far it hasn't crashed with the updater turned off.

Google update bot has been the last process started before the system loops and freezes in several logs.

http://applehelpwriter.com/2014/07/13/how-to-remove-googles-secret-update-softwa re-from-your-mac/

I noticed the same thing, that Google updater was always the last process before lockup. I disabled it but I am still getting random freezes. What a shame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.