Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Hi all,

I've been a hobbyist for a couple of years now, but am only just getting into paid, commercial photography. I have my photoblog, but I'd like to set up a proper photography website so my image can be presented professionally with galleries of my work, contact info, the works.

Now, despite being fairly computer-savvy, I'm by no means a web professional. So to have a website I'd need a template that I can easily modify, add new galleries, images with ease without having to resort to coding.

I've been advised by a web-designer friend to stay away from Flash, even though many photographers use it. He says that Flash makes it hard to integrate good SEO, causes problems on older computers or computers that may not have flash installed, etc. My main clients, at the moment, are businesses rather than individuals, and work computers are rarely the most up-to-date. Also, modifying/adding to a Flash site for someone like me becomes a huge issue.

So, anyone have any advice on what to do? Should I combine things like a Dreamweaver template with Aperture galleries... I dunno.

Any advice? Thanks, everyone.

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
I'll be interested to hear people's responses to this.
Checked out your photoblog and flickr by the way, excellent stuff! Wish you all the best with your venture!

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Sorry my friend, but my best answer will be "nothing beats a good hand coded work" but I know this answer will not be suitable for everybody, but it is true cause as far as I know, no software that can write HTML code properly.

But all hope is not lost though cause judging from what you want, I suggest you using iWeb 09, I assume you are using Mac right?

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Have you considered SmugMug? They offer a wide variety of photo templates that you can modify any way you wish. Unlimited photo storage, unlimited transfer, photos never expire, REALLY high quality photo printing, etc... Also their tech support is really excellent and they'll help you with your modifications. I have a $5 off coupon if you're interested

There are lots and lots and lots of threads on this topic (a new one gets started about once a week)... try searching to see what has already been discussed

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK
Actually, have you tried iWeb?

I had a play around with it last night and am quite impressed. I came up with a website I was happy with in a couple of hours that looks pretty professional in my opinion.

Worth having a look at if you haven't already. I have very little experience of making websites, and found it very straight forward, it automatically creates nice looking galleries from iphoto or aperture (or I assume any folder of images).

Now I just need to get some webspace...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.