Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucifer_5255

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2021
Recently, I was playing chess in my mac and found that the software was using 20 gb of RAM and after some time it ran out of memory and was asking for force quit.

20 GB FOR CHESS... seriously? ??

I hope Apple will fix this issue in its upcoming update...

Wolf1701

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2006
Recently, I was playing chess in my mac and found that the software was using 20 gb of RAM and after some time it ran out of memory and was asking for force quit.

You are simply too good at chess and the machine give up!

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
You, like me and almost everyone who uses Monterey,. has the dreaded memory leak bug. Apple will fix it eventually.

Before then there is a simple temporary solution. Presumably you have several desktops on your mac. I have 11 at the moment. Go to one you don’t use often and open up Activity Monitor(its in your applications and on every mac). Leave it open all the time. Click on the column that tells you the use of memory by system processes and apps. Highlight(click on) any that look completely out of control, and then click on the little icon with the x in the middle of a circle. Choose force quit. If its an app it will quit and you will have to restart it. If its a process(weird names mostly) then it will quit but come back almost instantly in the small size it's supposed to be. For me about 15 minutes ago I noticed that the most common culprit, Control Center(which normally uses about 26 mb of memory) was slowly sucking more and was up to 144mb. Earlier this week I found it at 14 GB.

You can keep these little buggers from stealing memory by just keeping an eye on them. Be advised: if WindowServer is up at 1gb then its probably doing it too, and if you force quit that one, your screen will go black for about 5 seconds while the OS puts it back, and then you will have to type in your machine password again.

Hope this helps.

Lucifer_5255

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2021
You, like me and almost everyone who uses Monterey,. has the dreaded memory leak bug. Apple will fix it eventually.

Before then there is a simple temporary solution. Presumably you have several desktops on your mac. I have 11 at the moment. Go to one you don’t use often and open up Activity Monitor(its in your applications and on every mac). Leave it open all the time. Click on the column that tells you the use of memory by system processes and apps. Highlight(click on) any that look completely out of control, and then click on the little icon with the x in the middle of a circle. Choose force quit. If its an app it will quit and you will have to restart it. If its a process(weird names mostly) then it will quit but come back almost instantly in the small size it's supposed to be. For me about 15 minutes ago I noticed that the most common culprit, Control Center(which normally uses about 26 mb of memory) was slowly sucking more and was up to 144mb. Earlier this week I found it at 14 GB.

You can keep these little buggers from stealing memory by just keeping an eye on them. Be advised: if WindowServer is up at 1gb then its probably doing it too, and if you force quit that one, your screen will go black for about 5 seconds while the OS puts it back, and then you will have to type in your machine password again.

Hope this helps.
thnx for the info :)

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA

It was storing trillions of moves in memory!

Lucifer_5255

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2021
It was storing trillions of moves in memory!
Still 20 gb RAM is too much for a game like chess.
I've also played this game in big sur but things were all right at that time.
Now in Monterey issues are coming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.