Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Craig Minto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2020
Hi Guys, just bought the new Mac book Pro, with the M1 chip. My soundcard is incompatible with Apple silicon - can anyone recommend a midi/audio soundcard that is compatible. I run Logic Pro X and have used Roland and Focusrite in the past, but these are not working.
Many thanks in advance.

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
Which audio interface do you have? I have the same question. I have a Rode AI-1 and first-generation Focusrite Scarlett, but won't have my new Mac (Mini) for another couple of weeks.

vocalnick

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2020
My old Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 works great. My MOTU 896MkIII Hybrid not so much.

I think in general, class compliant cards will work - same as with iOS, so I’d be searching reviews of iOS compatible units.

Reactions: Craig Minto

ww1971

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2011
Hi Guys, just bought the new Mac book Pro, with the M1 chip. My soundcard is incompatible with Apple silicon - can anyone recommend a midi/audio soundcard that is compatible. I run Logic Pro X and have used Roland and Focusrite in the past, but these are not working.
Many thanks in advance.

in the majority of cases drivers for hardware are missing. It’s not that uncommon for drivers to be missing when a brand new system like the mac m1 has just been released. It will be sometime before the drivers are released

existing drivers are unlikely to work since they are written for the intel systems.

Craig Minto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2020
in the majority of cases drivers for hardware are missing. It’s not that uncommon for drivers to be missing when a brand new system like the mac m1 has just been released. It will be sometime before the drivers are released

existing drivers are unlikely to work since they are written for the intel systems.
Apparently Apple released the relevant info to 3rd parties in June which I would have thought was enough time to update drivers - but obviously not.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Many thanks in advance.
Email your sound card maker and ask for an update.

Craig Minto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2020
Which audio interface do you have? I have the same question. I have a Rode AI-1 and first-generation Focusrite Scarlett, but won't have my new Mac (Mini) for another couple of weeks.
I have a Focusrite Scarlett 3rd Gen, and a Roland Quad-Capture - neither company have drivers ready for M1 yet.
Email your sound card maker and ask for an update.
thanks - haven’t tried them directly, but they have put out a statement saying we do not recommend you upgrading your software as an update isn’t available yet.

Moterrac

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2020
Focusrite Scarlett 3rd gen works with the m1 Mac without drivers but you won’t be able to use focusrite control to change the routing. However if you plug it into another machine with focusrite control enabled you can change the routing of the interface and it will persist if you plug it into your m1.
Hope you get it sorted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.