Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxxian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2017
hey.. i accidentally put Macintosh HD into container disk 1. first of all, i just wanted to have windows partition on my macbook and something went wrong and i had to remove that windows bootcamp partition so i erased it and progress of doing it i accidently put the main Mac disk into some APFS container... i just want to take out Macintosh HD out of 'Container disk 1' so i can use all those 161GB of datas..help me out please. here is helpful images in google Doc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14HCS9Nt0QwSqUt8rS5_v5zmk0AnydGcvvQQbrT6wErg/edit

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your drive is formatted AFPS.
If your Macintosh HD is in Container disk1, then you are good. It is supposed to be there.
That's the natural state of an AFPS format drive.
Unless you were doing something VERY unusual when installing Windows, you should use your Boot Camp assistant to both make the windows partition, and also to remove the windows partition in the event that you need to remove it.

If you did NOT use your Boot Camp assistant to remove your Windows partition, but used some other method, such as using Disk Utility to erase your windows partition, then it will be very likely that you will need to erase your drive, and restore your Mac files and data from your backup.

BTW, I could not see your images, as that would require me to sign up for Google drive. Not everyone here chooses to use a google drive for anything (I refuse to use that part of the Google "mystery machine" :D )
But, your description was really all I needed to say that there's nothing wrong with the Mac side, other than a screwed-up Windows partition. Not always easy to fix, as the tools that SHOULD help, like DiskWarrior, are not yet very helpful with fixing an AFPS formatted drive.

Reactions: xxxian

xxxian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2017
Your drive is formatted AFPS.
If your Macintosh HD is in Container disk1, then you are good. It is supposed to be there.
That's the natural state of an AFPS format drive.
Unless you were doing something VERY unusual when installing Windows, you should use your Boot Camp assistant to both make the windows partition, and also to remove the windows partition in the event that you need to remove it.

If you did NOT use your Boot Camp assistant to remove your Windows partition, but used some other method, such as using Disk Utility to erase your windows partition, then it will be very likely that you will need to erase your drive, and restore your Mac files and data from your backup.

BTW, I could not see your images, as that would require me to sign up for Google drive. Not everyone here chooses to use a google drive for anything (I refuse to use that part of the Google "mystery machine" :D )
But, your description was really all I needed to say that there's nothing wrong with the Mac side, other than a screwed-up Windows partition. Not always easy to fix, as the tools that SHOULD help, like DiskWarrior, are not yet very helpful with fixing an AFPS formatted drive.

wow thank you for quick reply, but there is one thing i didnt tell you and one question for you. You said "If your Macintosh HD is in Container disk1, then you are good. It is supposed to be there." but it wont let me to access datas from the Macintosh HD (I uploaded new pictures to help, sorry i used google Doc again XD)
If you see the picture theres Applications, data, Library, System, Users and they are supposed to be in the 'xxxian' ('xxxian' is the main home) but its not there anymore and those files contains all those important data..(all those back-end front-end projects..) please i just want to take out 'Macintosh HD' from 'Container disk 1'
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i6bXg9YplzQ-4w1iQcv82-U5bkjGibFGPr2QcP3LncQ/edit

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
You might find this link helpful.

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/deep-dive/macos-sierra-delete-apfs-partition-right-way/

I suspect once you get your drive reformatted you will need to install High Sierra and then bring back your files.
[doublepost=1513310409][/doublepost]
If you see the picture theres Applications, data, Library, System, Users and they are supposed to be in the 'xxxian' ('xxxian' is the main home) but its not there anymore and those files contains all those important data..(all those back-end front-end projects..)

Your Home folder DOES NOT contain the root Library, System or Users folder.

Macintosh HD Root folders
Applications
Library
System > Library
Users > Your Home User, Shared

Your Home folder contains:
Applications for this users only, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures and the User's Library

If you use Column view it's easier to see what is in your folders.

xxxian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2017
You might find this link helpful.

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/deep-dive/macos-sierra-delete-apfs-partition-right-way/

I suspect once you get your drive reformatted you will need to install High Sierra and then bring back your files.
[doublepost=1513310409][/doublepost]

Your Home folder DOES NOT contain the root Library, System or Users folder.

Macintosh HD Root folders
Applications
Library
System > Library
Users > Your Home User, Shared

Your Home folder contains:
Applications for this users only, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures and the User's Library

If you use Column view it's easier to see what is in your folders.
I see. but i just want to get my APFS volume (Macintosh HD) out of APFS container (Container disk 1), what should i do

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
But... your Macintosh HD is supposed to be in that Container disk1 --- that part is correct!
What apparently happened is --- you accidentally moved some folders from the root level of the drive, to your home folder. (The system does not accept those as legitimate items, which is why they appear as generic objects

You don't show a screen shot of your Disk Utility, which would show (and it should CORRECTLY show) that your Macintosh HD is, in fact, in the Container Disk1, which is correct. You can't remove it from that container, as it is part of your APFS formatted storage, and a normal configuration.
But, your screen shots DO show that something has happened to a few important folders, which now are showing (as invalid objects) in the wrong location on your hard drive. Your home folder (the one named xxxian) should NOT have those various folders, including the Users folder, that dianeoforegon listed. Those actually should be at the root of your Macintosh HD. Your xxxian folder should be inside the Users folder.

So, it seems that you accidentally tried to move those various folders into your user folder, and they should not be there at all.
Moving Macintosh HD out of Container disk1 will NOT help you, even if you could do that. (I don't think the file system will allow you to do that, but it won't fix your scrambled directory).
I think your best chance right now is to reinstall macOS, and you may need to use your backup to restore everything properly.
You DO have a backup, don't you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.