Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
i want to buy a nikon D90 kit from a good place. i have been looking at adaroma, ebay, B&H, amazon. which place would give me best value and best price. i can compare all the packages but i would have to make a spreadsheet. also i am looking for some good web sites for help on learning and understanding photography. i have a small head start because my wife is already doing photography in school. looking for some advice on it.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
All four of those companies are good retailers, but you are going to have to do the research as to what you are getting for the price. I'm assuming you are looking at package deals (camera, lens(es), case, etc.) so you have to look at what you need and will use. The topic of D90 has been discussed several times in the past on this site, so do a search a look though the threads, you might find out that others have been in the same shoes.

JohnMC

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Clearly ebay isn't a retailer in itself. If I were you I would buy the D90 body and one good lens from one of the other three places. Any of the Nikon 18-something zooms are OK, though there is variation clearly with price and range. Sigma, Tamron and Tokina also make some good lenses, the sigma 17-70, tokina and tamron f/2.8 are worth a look.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Personally, I wouldn't purchase from any retailer other than:

B&H, Adorama, Calumet, Ace Photo (Ashburn, Va,) Berger Bros, or Amazon themselves (Adorama is the only camera retailer other than Amazon on Amazon I'd go to.) You can find different prices, but you're taking a risk anywhere else IMO. I'd also stay far away from anything other than the Nikon USA authorized kits or a body-only purchase.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Personally, I wouldn't purchase from any retailer other than:

B&H, Adorama, Calumet, Ace Photo (Ashburn, Va,) Berger Bros, or Amazon themselves (Adorama is the only camera retailer other than Amazon on Amazon I'd go to.) You can find different prices, but you're taking a risk anywhere else IMO. I'd also stay far away from anything other than the Nikon USA authorized kits or a body-only purchase.

Exactly. Avoid bundled junk.

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
i will go to adorama since i live in NYC its easy for me. ebay has kits with stuff i dont need. amazon will be my 2nd choice.

Thank you all for help.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
i will go to adorama since i live in NYC its easy for me. ebay has kits with stuff i dont need. amazon will be my 2nd choice.

Thank you all for help.

Well, if you live in NYC, you also have local access to B&H, which is something a lot of photographers would love to have.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Compuwar, did you deliberately leave out KEH, or was that just an oversight?

I was talking about new purchases- I only really go to KEH for used if it's not something Ace Photo has (Ace is the "When I'm going to a store in person" place for me in the WDC area.) I've never seen particularly great prices on new gear at KEH, but I admit I've only checked their prices 4-5 times for new stuff.

Thank you all for help.

Frankly, I'd price out Amazon first since you'll have to deal with local taxes for the rest.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Take a stroll over to the B&H Store since you're in NYC... Okay prices, they stand behind their gear, and very knowledgeable sales staff. Plus, they will have everything you need, no questions about it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
i want to buy a nikon D90 kit from a good place. i have been looking at adaroma, ebay, B&H, amazon. which place would give me best value and best price. i can compare all the packages but i would have to make a spreadsheet. also i am looking for some good web sites for help on learning and understanding photography. i have a small head start because my wife is already doing photography in school. looking for some advice on it.

Don't buy a "package". Buy the Nikon D90 body and the "kit" lens together. But do not let them sell you any more bundled stuff. In every case the junk they bundle into thses deals is just that, low quality junk. Buy the Nikon brand equipment you want and then shop around and carefully select anything else you need.

Buying from any of the top teir retails is OK. Ebay is not one of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.