Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I can't believe what I just did....

For some time my 20d has had a lot of dust spots both in the viewfinder and on the final images so I set about investigating if they were on the lens optics, mirrors, sensor and/or viewfinder.

So I clean up the lens(es!) and the viewfinder, open the mirror up to get a look at the sensor, which looks unblemished so I left it and all is going well but then I noticed quite a lot of 'furry stuff' on the mirror so I gently wiped it off, which didn't work. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I ended up dislodging the mirror from its hinge on one side. Bugger. Now, as if that weren't bad enough I then decided to try and relocate it but, and this is the worst part, I ended up scratching (well, gouging!) the bloody thing.

So now I have a 20d with a very scratched and improperly attached mirror. Question is, what can I do about it now? Its over 3 years old so the warrenty is long gone, plus it was my fault. Can I take it to any camera shop and have it repaired? Do I have to send it back to Canon? How much is it likely to cost me? Is it a write off? Not having been this stupid before I dont have any experience of having these things repaird so any pointers would be appreciated. I'm in the UK btw so obviously that has an impact on what I can do and how much it'll cost me!

Thanks in advance!

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I can't believe what I just did....

For some time my 20d has had a lot of dust spots both in the viewfinder and on the final images so I set about investigating if they were on the lens optics, mirrors, sensor and/or viewfinder.

So I clean up the lens(es!) and the viewfinder, open the mirror up to get a look at the sensor, which looks unblemished so I left it and all is going well but then I noticed quite a lot of 'furry stuff' on the mirror so I gently wiped it off, which didn't work. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I ended up dislodging the mirror from its hinge on one side. Bugger. Now, as if that weren't bad enough I then decided to try and relocate it but, and this is the worst part, I ended up scratching (well, gouging!) the bloody thing.

So now I have a 20d with a very scratched and improperly attached mirror. Question is, what can I do about it now? Its over 3 years old so the warrenty is long gone, plus it was my fault. Can I take it to any camera shop and have it repaired? Do I have to send it back to Canon? How much is it likely to cost me? Is it a write off? Not having been this stupid before I dont have any experience of having these things repaird so any pointers would be appreciated. I'm in the UK btw so obviously that has an impact on what I can do and how much it'll cost me!

Thanks in advance!

well, yes, it was moronic, but also an accident. Don't feel too bad. Look at it like one of life's lessons.

As for the repair, I have no real idea, but I know it cost me alot of money just to fix my SD-410 from Canon. alot. i would have bought a new camera had they still not been so darn expensive at that time.

maybe look around some user forums. maybe you can buy/find a replacement mirror. call your local repair store as well.

good luck!
Keebler

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
My first suggestion is to see if any of your local camera stores offer a free quote for repairs.. i guess make that replacement of the mirror.

At which point you can then make the maybe not so pleasant decesion on buying a used 20D or upgrading to a 30D or 40D.

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Isn't the 40d on the verge of being updated? If it comes to that I'm not sure wether I replace with the same or invest in the latest! First stop is my local dealer in the morning... Jon is not a happy bunny!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My guess is that a local shop will fix it for about $100 unles the entire assembly has to be replaced then I'd geuss more like $250.

Next a scratched mirror will have less effect then you might think. It will have zero effect on the image and be nraly undetectable in the viewfinder. So if yu can put up with a cosmetic defect just have them put it back together and salvage the mirror if possable. Find some one who is willing to do this. anon will likely want to replace much more

Next time think a little bit about where the dust might be. If the dust is in-focus then it can only be at some plane of focus and not on the lens or mirror. The only place would be is on the focus screen inside the view finder.

davem7

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Isn't the 40d on the verge of being updated? If it comes to that I'm not sure wether I replace with the same or invest in the latest! First stop is my local dealer in the morning... Jon is not a happy bunny!

Don't think the 40D is due for an update for a while yet. It was released August 2007 and if I recall correctly, it's about an 18-month release cycle on average (at least that was true for 30D -> 40D). So at best, there's probably not going to be an update for at least another 6-9 months.

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
http://www.lehmannsdirect.co.uk/mainindex.asp - One of the official UK service centres for Canon. If you take the camera to your local store, they'll add their percentage on top of what these guys charge anyway. Cut of the middle man and go straight to them. There is a contact form on the website so you might be able to get a quote first.

Many thanks for that. I've been in touch with them and although it isn't cheap it could be much worse!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.