Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
London
Ok I have been thinking about it and I am planning on getting my first DSLR the compact I have now just isn't good and I want to get into proper photography, and as my school won't teach photography then I will teach myself :p I need it to be a cheapish DSLR (Max price would be £500ish ($900 around)). I was looking at the Nikon D40, I don't need anything fantastic just a plain DSLR. I would mainly be using it in outside like nature shots and night shots. Any help would be gratefully appreciated,

Joe

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
The D40 would be a good camera, but I would ultimately say get a Pentax K100D and you'll have some money for a couple really great lenses as well.

The lenses will make a huuuuuge difference in the picture, probably more than the body itself, but either body would be a great camera.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
decide what lenses you will want and then buy the body that you can afford that will fit those lenses.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
London
Yeah but thats the thing I don't know too much about lenses, So what would be a bad lens and a good lens?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Look around your area and see if there isn't a course in photography offered by either the local Adult Education program or the local community college. Go to the library or bookstore and pick up some basic texts on photography. Look around on the internet for education about photographic techniques, what various lenses and focal lengths do, etc.

Only after you've done some self-education should you then go out in search of a camera body and lens(es).

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
decide what lenses you will want and then buy the body that you can afford that will fit those lenses.
I will agree with this post but first you have to do something before you decide what lenses you want. You have to decide what photography you are really driven by.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I'm about to purchase a Pentax K10D. I've held the camera, and although it is heavier than most other dSLRs, it is a great camera. Price-wise, it just barely fits with the kit lens. (A decent lens, but you can always cut it and buy yourself something better.)

If that is too much, then look at the K100/K110D. They're also great cameras but I don't know as much about them as I do the K10D. I think Pentax is a bit overshadowed by Nikon/Canon... their current offerings are actually very competitive for less money. Plus there is a rebate out on the Pentax bodies+lenses thru July 31st. :)

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
Yeah but thats the thing I don't know too much about lenses, So what would be a bad lens and a good lens?

dpreview.com & Nikonians.org are good places to ask these questions.
Generally though, better lens cost more, and the wider the zoom range (mm) will put a dent into your wallet.

There are comsumer lenses out there, they work well but not in low light conditions or action shots.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
dpreview.com & Nikonians.org are good places to ask these questions.
Generally though, better lens cost more, and the wider the zoom range (mm) will put a dent into your wallet.

There are comsumer lenses out there, they work well but not in low light conditions or action shots.
There are gems out there, however. ;)

Particularly with Pentax as any Pentax mount lens will mount on their current bodies.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
There are gems out there, however. ;)

Particularly with Pentax as any Pentax mount lens will mount on their current bodies.

I'm looking forwards to picking up an older 30mm Pentax prime... (1.5x conversion-->50mm FOV) Any lens in the last 40 years or so will work! Very nice, Pentax!

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
London
Ok I think I am going to save up for a Nikon D40 Digital SLR Camera (18-55mm Lens Kit) for £350 and see how it is with the lens given and maybe buy a better one later, and from reading on http://www.dpreview.com I have found out that if I do buy a lens later on get a AS-F or AF-I because they have a focus drive motor and the D40 doesn't have one built in so Thanks guys!

Joe

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
As far as I can remember the Auto focus motor is in the camera body in Nikon cameras.

In the Canon system the focus motors are in the lenses, this to my mind is a much better way to go. Perhaps look at the Canon 350D or the newer 400D.

FJ

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
As far as I can remember the Auto focus motor is in the camera body in Nikon cameras.

Always has been....until the D40 and D40x! Nikon has been adding AF-S to their lenses over time and it is expected that they will be soon coming out with a lot more lenses with AF-S, which will make a significant difference for both users with the previous Nikon bodies and those with the new D40/D40x bodies.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
Someone want to give advantages to Canon or Nikon other than just those are the top two?

And yes, be careful on lenses that you buy if you do get the D40 or D40x as many of them will simply be manual focus lenses with an auto focus price tag.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Always has been....until the D40 and D40x! Nikon has been adding AF-S to their lenses over time and it is expected that they will be soon coming out with a lot more lenses with AF-S, which will make a significant difference for both users with the previous Nikon bodies and those with the new D40/D40x bodies.
Tnx Clix Pix,
It's been quite a while since I used a Nikon. I have been a Canon user until recently when I bought two Leica's ...:)

FJ

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I was talking to a photographer the other day he said to me:

"It's pretty much either Canon or Nikon. Nikon for the build quality, Canon for the sensor"

Or something a long those lines.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
Ok I think I am going to save up for a Nikon D40 Digital SLR Camera (18-55mm Lens Kit) for £350 and see how it is with the lens given and maybe buy a better one later, and from reading on http://www.dpreview.com I have found out that if I do buy a lens later on get a AS-F or AF-I because they have a focus drive motor and the D40 doesn't have one built in so Thanks guys!

Joe

Sounds like a great buy for starting out with DSLRs. If you want superb information on gear, I don't know if you've checked it out yet but fredmiranda.com has great user reviews on lenses for your future purchases.

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
I'd highly recommend going to a brick and mortar store and holding the camera you wish to buy. Since going digital 8 years ago I had always purchased Canon cameras. I recently made the move from point-and-shoot to dslr. I naturally assumed I would purchase a Canon. Until I held one. They were all too small for my hands. I ended up getting a Nikon D70S because it fit my hands much better than any Canon at the time. I still think Canon makes excellent cameras, just not for me.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I was talking to a photographer the other day he said to me:

"It's pretty much either Canon or Nikon. Nikon for the build quality, Canon for the sensor"

Or something a long those lines.

Is there something better about the Canon sensors? I think it's BS. There's more benefits that CCD sensors have over MOS than the other way around. Wonder why Canon is the only one committed to CMOS? Right now, the quality of the photos produced by both sensors is around the same. The differences you see between brands is likely in the processing, with Canon doing a better job than most other brands. That is true about Canon. However, I shoot in RAW, and RAW output between Canons, Nikons, and Pentax cameras produce rather similar results.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
I feel like Leica is one of the few cameras I haven't used. Am I missing out?
You most certainly are my friend ...... :cool:
Leica lenses are (to use a modern phrase) "Awesome" or "The dog's conkers"

Made famous by Magnum photographers including Henri Cartier-Bresson, Leica's are top's .... :) The only drawback is their cost. ... :eek:

FJ

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
For a plain ol' DSLR, you can't go wrong with the D40 (or the new D40x, if you're looking to do lots of larger prints) or Digital Rebel XT or XTi.

Any of the above 4 options will help foster better understanding of taking pictures, and all are capable of capturing amazing photographs. Additionally, each body - both Nikon and Canon - have access to the largest array of pro and prosumer glass.

In choosing between the two, I simply suggest going to the store and handling both bodies - see what one feels more intuitive to you - what one will work for your needs.

Personally, I shoot with Nikon. You'll find a lot of of members here who shoot with Nikon, but many Pro's use Canon. I like the feel and features of the Nikon DSLR cameras better, but I certainly wouldn't be unhappy if I were to use a Canon XTi.

Good luck!

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
I'm very happy with the Canon Digital Rebel XT, which I use with a Canon image-stabilized zoom lens. I've gotten some fantastic pictures with it (for an amateur). I've never used the Nikon, but, as has been said, these are the two top cameras.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.