Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

You want to buy your first Apple Watch, which one will you choose?

• Cheaper Series 4, 44mm, LTE

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • More expensive Series 5, 44mm, LTE

Votes: 28 75.7%

• Total voters

and 4096 others like this

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
Hi,

in my country AW4 cost ~$581 and same model (LTE, 44mm) but AW5 cost ~$661

I bought AW4, cause there is nothing new besides AOD and compass... Now I have second thoughts, that maybe I should return it and get series 5? Is AOD worth $80?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Hi,

in my country AW4 cost ~$581 and same model (LTE, 44mm) but AW5 cost ~$661

I bought AW4, cause there is nothing new besides AOD and compass... Now I have second thoughts, that maybe I should return it and get series 5? Is AOD worth $80?

No one can decide that for you. Everyone is different. But, I would suggest that if you’re having second thoughts then return it, pay the extra and get the series 5 (assuming you’re happy/can afford to pay). That’s certainly what I would do personally.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I would probably just get the Series 3 GPS that sells for 199$ in the US. That's an amazing price and definitely worth it. I don't have an Apple Watch because i have never seen a reason to get one, i mean my phone already does everything for me.

Yes it makes sense when you exercise a lot, SOS feature is also nice as a elderly person etc. But let's be honest, it's just a remote for your phone. I don't need to check my calendar/mail/messages on the watch, i can do that with my phone.

Maybe it's just me, but it have really seen no reason so far for a Smartwatch. I would rather get an iPad, Mac, Apple TV and HomePod first.

But if you are interested in one, i just compared the Series 3 and 5 and the 5 is obviously much more advanced and has way more stuff in it that you'll miss with the Series 3, so i think Series 4 will do just fine and is the minimum you should buy. I think spending another 80$ just because of the Compass isn't worth it but that's up to you.

Series 5 has also a lot of nice features that the Series 3 doesn't have, but i think with the Series 4 you'll get the most of that aswell.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I also has twice the storage 32GB vs 16GB. I don't think you should underestimate AOD. I think it has been lacking from the beginning. But since it is oled and not some passive reflective display, I hope the brightness are dim enough to not attract attention. I where planning on picking up a second S4 after S5 where introduced depending on the changes, but now I go for a S5.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Even if you don't want the AOD you've got a year newer watch, so theoretically longer watchOS support etcetera.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

AtikCzaTok

macrumors member
May 10, 2016
Yes it makes sense when you exercise a lot, SOS feature is also nice as a elderly person etc. But let's be honest, it's just a remote for your phone. I don't need to check my calendar/mail/messages on the watch, i can do that with my phone.

I think if you have a cellular model watch, you can still SOS (without the phone, wifi, or anything being near by). It think all Non-Activated mobile devices can do this (including the Apple Watch LTE).

..someone told me in the past to keep a cheap off the shelf phone in your car's glovebox for emergencies. It will dial emergency without a phone plan.

Regards

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I also got to say that i never really informed myself about the Watch, since again i don't want one or see the reason for one.

But the OP should get atleast Series 4, not the 3.

80$ for just the Compass? No. Get Series 4 instead of 5.

80$ for the Compass, Always-On Display and 32 GB of internal storage and whatever else is new compared with Series 4? Yes. Get the Series 5. I would just get the newest one and be happy. The price difference isn't that much of a deal. 80$ and you have the latest model.

Oh, and if you already bought the Series 4, yes go return it and get the 5. You should have the 14-day return window.

Reactions: Otflyer

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I don't have an Apple Watch because i have never seen a reason to get one, i mean my phone already does everything for me.

Maybe it's just me, but it have really seen no reason so far for a Smartwatch.

I'll start by saying each to their own. The following is just food for thought.

I became introduced to smart watch functions when they started adding them to Garmin running watches. I ended up migrating over to an Apple Watch beginning with the S2. Being able to leave my phone behind and go for a run, playing music from the watch to my bluetooth headphones, as well as having cellular connectivity in case needed, was an incentive to give it a go.

Over time I've found having the watch created a paradigm shift in how I use my phone.

I can glance at my watch to see my next meeting / appointment, or tap it to see the day's lineup. My phone stays in my pocket.

I get a text from someone, I can open it on my watch and even make a brief acknowledgment or reply. My phone stays in my pocket.

When I'm cooking up something in the kitchen and up to my elbows and get a phone call, I can see who's calling and answer it if I wish - even having a brief convo Dick Tracy style if I'm alone. If my hands were dirty I just wash off the watch as I wash my hands. My phone stays on the Qi charger on the counter on the other side of the kitchen.

Sitting in my comfy chair in the living room watching tv or reading a book, when I get a phone call I can see who it is and decide whether or not to take the call. My phone stays on the Qi charger on the counter in the kitchen.

When I'm out walking the dogs and think of something I need to do later or something that needs to go on the grocery list, a quick raise of my wrist and a Hey Siri and the reminder is set or the item is added to the grocery list. My phone stays on the Qi charger on the counter in the kitchen.

Walking through the grocery store, I bring up the grocery list in the Reminders app on my watch. I can check off items as I put them in my buggy. My phone stays in my pocket.

These are just a few examples of how my phone usage is different from "before" when my phone already did everything for me. :)

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I'll start by saying each to their own. The following is just food for thought.

I became introduced to smart watch functions when they started adding them to Garmin running watches. I ended up migrating over to an Apple Watch beginning with the S2. Being able to leave my phone behind and go for a run, playing music from the watch to my bluetooth headphones, as well as having cellular connectivity in case needed, was an incentive to give it a go.

Over time I've found having the watch created a paradigm shift in how I use my phone.

I can glance at my watch to see my next meeting / appointment, or tap it to see the day's lineup. My phone stays in my pocket.

I get a text from someone, I can open it on my watch and even make a brief acknowledgment or reply. My phone stays in my pocket.

When I'm cooking up something in the kitchen and up to my elbows and get a phone call, I can see who's calling and answer it if I wish - even having a brief convo Dick Tracy style if I'm alone. If my hands were dirty I just wash off the watch as I wash my hands. My phone stays on the Qi charger on the counter on the other side of the kitchen.

Sitting in my comfy chair in the living room watching tv or reading a book, when I get a phone call I can see who it is and decide whether or not to take the call. My phone stays on the Qi charger on the counter in the kitchen.

When I'm out walking the dogs and think of something I need to do later or something that needs to go on the grocery list, a quick raise of my wrist and a Hey Siri and the reminder is set or the item is added to the grocery list. My phone stays on the Qi charger on the counter in the kitchen.

Walking through the grocery store, I bring up the grocery list in the Reminders app on my watch. I can check off items as I put them in my buggy. My phone stays in my pocket.

These are just a few examples of how my phone usage is different from "before" when my phone already did everything for me. :)

Good for you. I know it makes sense for a lot of people and there is a massive market for the Apple Watch. Actually i am glad that the Apple Watch is popular and not some Samsung or Fitbit thingy. Sure you can glance at your upcoming appointments when you are busy and you don't need to use your phone. But that doesn't justify the purchase of that watch. I admit i don't know too much about the Apple Watch, ask me something about the iPhone or iPad and i will list you every single feature there is. The things you can do with the Watch are nice, yes.

I have never said that the Apple Watch is pointless or not worth it, it's just not the right product for me.

Reactions: deeddawg

armeca

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2019
having a real hard time justifying upgrading from a 4, but the always on display is tempting
I was totally fine with my series 4 stainless stell cellular. I wasn’t going to upgrade but when I heard that always on display was finally arriving to the watch i said ****. It is not something vital but is what the watch was missing from the version 0. There are some situations where i find myself needing only to check the time with a simple eye looking in a desk, car, sports. In some cases it has been a little forced doing the wrist gesture and more than once didn’t work flawless so checking the time became a more complex operation. The was is grear but first of all it has to show time quickly and with a natural looking if you don’t need to raise wrist

That’s what had make me loose 50% in resell value which was as new but tbe second market is what it is...bad. Sold it in rebuy Spain for 490€ vs 849€ original price

If the series 5 had brought another improvement i wouldn’t have upgrade. For me cellular and AOD are the biggest features in the short time as well as ECG

Now I will take my time to decide if i pick the same version which is the most probable because i liked it a lot. Maybe i will add apple care+ to be fully protected in two years and make the promise of keeping it at least till s8. LoL

Last edited:
Reactions: deeddawg

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Also you don't know when the AW4 was made and the battery might be a year old. The AW5 will have a fresh battery.

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
you missed international distress calling, not as compelling as being actually able to fully use roaming whilst on a run when abroad, but still reasssuring.

greenbre

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2019
Maryland
I am finally going to get a watch after waiting for years. My main reason is to always have a method to get help if I get hurt or fall in my home. For instance, I broke my foot this week but was not near my phone. So I had to hop in the house to find the phone and get help.

I was disappointed the series 5 does not have a sleep feature like my Fitbit. I am trying to decide between series 5 and 4. I have a few questions I am hoping can be answered here:

1. Why would I want 'always on'? I like how my Fitbit only turns on when I move my arm to read it. It is not distracting in meetings, teaching, movies, etc. I admire the blackness of other people's watches. Am I missing something?

2. Do you think this 'always on' can be turned off to be less distracting and save battery life?

3. Cellular or not? I currently use Verizon but cannot get answer from them about what a monthly fee for cellular would be. If I buy cellular but do not pay for the service (other than the extra $$), is there any advantage? I have access to Wi-Fi at work and home. So how close does my iPhone need to be to me for the features to work?

4. Has anyone bought a watch at Costco? Their price is slightly better and the return is 90 days (I think).

Thanks for any insight.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
having a real hard time justifying upgrading from a 4, but the always on display is tempting

The ‘always on display’ would not be reason enough for me alone from the Series 4 to the Series 5, I would need to Factor other considerations, like the new casing material, compass, etc. There’s no way I would just upgrade strictly for the always on display, not when I don’t _need_ to have that feature when I’m not looking at my watch when raise to wake works fairly efficient for what it’s worth.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

and 4096 others like this

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
Thank you all guys and girls. You know what? This morning I was tying shoes and looked at AW - black screen, no time. I moved my hand - no respond, no time, still black screen... So I had to made a big movement to just see what time it is... I will return AW4 and go for AW5 :)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The ‘always on display’ would not be reason enough for me alone from the Series 4 to the Series 5, I would need to Factor other considerations, like the new casing material, compass, etc. There’s no way I would just upgrade strictly for the always on display, not when I don’t _need_ to have that feature when I’m not looking at my watch when raise to wake works fairly efficient for what it’s worth.
Yeah I’m not really sold on the always on display. I can just raise my wrist. I can see that the compass would be useful for people that go hiking and do other outdoor activities. However I don’t have a use case for it. So I’m going to stick with my series 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.