Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reimertz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
This is my second Touchbar Macbook Pro, the first one, saw the DELETE button break within weeks ,worst edge bleed I've ever seen and an right speaker that exploded within when i plugged out the charger. Obviously returned it and got my money back because I felt like these computers where broken on arrival. (I couldn't write on it, accidental inputs on the Touchbar all the time).

Current computer I got as compensation for work I did, which was kind of a good deal for both of us, so I couldn't say no.

As soon as I got it, I started seeing weird kernel_task spikes, reaching %1600, turning the computer into an useless brick. I assumed I caused it with a borked software configuration so I recently reinstalled macOS.

It didn't help and I had no clue what caused it, til now.

I can reproduce it over and over again.

1. Boot computer,
2. Let it reach 10% battery life
3. Plug in charger
4. Watch computer turn into a flying brick (fans running at full speed)
5. Unplug charger
6. Watch brick land and become usable again.

I told myself that I would let Apple get a last opportunity to win back the fan boy that I once was, getting one of the first Intel macs back in the day, but that boy definitely died today.

I will get this computer repaired, sell it and buy an old used rMBP again and wait till the rMBP 2018.
If that computer doesn't make me excited, I'll start hang with penguins instead on this little fella.

Anyone else seeing these issues? I've only seen one reference so far.
[doublepost=1524606623][/doublepost]Funny thing, I had to charge it right now. Currently running at ~400%. ‍♂️

upload_2018-4-24_23-49-49.png

Last edited:

reimertz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Turn off or uninstall Steam and see what happens.

Installed Steam 15 minutes before posting. Issues where ther before installing and this whole post was created due to me rage-quitting the game because I couldn’t charge and play at the same time.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
TBH kernal tasks have been an issue for a while and there are hundereds of threads with these types of issues.

But the fact you can replicate it sounds like you have some sort of strange power consumption/power delivery issue.

This is a support doc from apple

If kernel_task is using a large percentage of your Mac CPU

One of the functions of the kernel task process is to help manage the temperature of your CPU.

Activity Monitor might show that a system process named kernel_task is using a large percentage of your CPU, and during this time you might notice more fan activity.

One of the functions of kernel_task is to help manage CPU temperature by making the CPU less available to processes that are using it intensely. In other words, kernel_task responds to conditions that cause your CPU to become too hot, even if your Mac doesn't feel hot to you. It does not itself cause those conditions. When the CPU temperature decreases, kernel_task automatically reduces its activity.

Maybe the power cycles at low battery percentages are causing this. Probably best for the short term not to let it get that low.

Assuming you've tried SMC resets etc? Although that will be a short term fix if its a hardware issue.

I would say its time to take to apple or get rid of it. The 2016/17 seems to have endless issues. Never seen so many threads with unhappy users with an apple product.

The XPS is nice, the build quality isnt quite the same and with the 2018 refresh they will be comparable if apple sorts the issues.

Feel bad that youve had so many issues. Worth trying to give the 16-17 a miss. Saying that being an early adopter of the 18 probably isnt a good idea either.

Yasser94

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
Did you get this fixed ? I have the same problem.

I think it's a bad logic board.

Since changing ports sometimes helps.

Also first started noticing this when I used a dongle on one port and power delivery on another...

Although if you have more information it would be very welcome

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.