Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
I find the experience of navigating the UI so much better than having a home button and touch id.

Sure there's some bugs but overall this is the best iPhone I've owned.

What has your experience been so far?

Reactions: SBruv and yegon

boultonn

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2017
London
It's the first iphone I've been amazed with since the 5, the battery life is a significant improvement, even compared to my 7 when that was new. Face ID is flawless, the screen is brilliant and the whole UX is amazing.
Yes it's a lot, but offset by the trade-in of the 7 and that makes it much more reasonable.
And the fact I ordered it on launch day and got it the day after, none of this waiting around nonsense!

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
It's the first iphone I've been amazed with since the 5, the battery life is a significant improvement, even compared to my 7 when that was new. Face ID is flawless, the screen is brilliant and the whole UX is amazing.
Yes it's a lot, but offset by the trade-in of the 7 and that makes it much more reasonable.
And the fact I ordered it on launch day and got it the day after, none of this waiting around nonsense!

Flawless is the right word.

I really had my doubts about this phone before I ordered it, but after adapting to the new gestures and Face ID the experience is as you say, amazing.

I received mine within a week of the pre-order, which I was happy about.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
I'm also really enjoying the X, looks and feels great holding it,
Face-Id is wonderfull, I work with surgical gloves a lot at work, and I can now use the iPhone without having to use my pin-code :)

The notch gives it a quirky look that I like

All the people nitpicking over minor details is way over the top (as always on Macrumors)
I am just using en enjoying the X :)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It's an amazing phone.

One tip is that when Face ID doesn’t recognise you, don’t just give up. Enter the passcode and Face ID will learn this new angle of your face and be smarter next time. Now mine unlocks when I put it on the desk facing my chin.

ic-v

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
I upgraded from an SE to the X and while I miss just how pocketable and easily one-handable the SE was, the X in is just a fantastic device, nice big bright vibrant screen, plenty of space to type texts (which my job depends heavily on) and emails or even navigate the web with, and watching youtube videos in zoomed in mode are all fantastic, as is FaceID which I actually prefer to TouchID and haven't had any issues with. In spite of being a bit more difficult to handle and pocket the trade-off for when I'm sitting in one spot and being able to enjoy it in that sense has been a fun experience.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
The X is a solid built device but a poor form factor & aspect ratio. Killer screen for some things. Face ID works fine for me. But there's more to a smartphone than this. I don't get excited how my phone unlocks..lol But I guess it doesn't take much to excite the unwashed.

1. Majority of apps still look like garbage as does the UI. That home indicator line is the dumbest thing about this phone and ruins apps.
2. Video and pics simply don't look right on screen. Especially viewing pics.
3. Screen is too small to do OLED enough justice and justify getting over a Plus. The 7 plus screen is still superior.
4. Still feels like a downgrade from even a 7 plus.
5. We're basically looking at 9 months or so left til 2018 phones. It's not worth the headache at this point or the money.
6. Getting an 8 Plus instead would be stupid but lol at those who do.

Decided to sell and put towards a 75" or bigger tv instead. So I made around 500 selling 3 of these which was kind of disappointing (nothing like airpods which netted me around 3k since launch). Hopefully Apple does more than simply make a bigger iphone X next year. iOS needs some work as do apps for the beta X phone but hopefully Apple can make enough improvements for it to be worthy of me keeping.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I find the experience of navigating the UI so much better than having a home button and touch id.

Sure there's some bugs but overall this is the best iPhone I've owned.

What has your experience been so far?
Like the X, but...
- Prefer the home button, but the added screen real estate is welcomed. Worth the change to create this form factor. Never will think gestures are superior, however.
- Battery life is good, not great.
- Love the aspect ratio and added space in portrait apps, while gaining a little size over my 8 for black bordered videos and pics. The Plus was too wide for me.
- Love the notch in portrait. I think it looks futuristic and is pleasing to my eyes. Weird that I’m saying that. I’m not “used to it”, I actually prefer it! Landscape, however, it’s a pile. Apple needs to adjust their software.
- Need an option to get rid of the home bar. Also, it doesn’t turn off in certain apps while watching videos. More of a visual obstruction than the notch for me.
- A bit heavy for me. Much prefer the 8’s weight and thinness.
- Wireless charging is outstanding. Instead of spending $70 on fast charging, spend it on charging pads. My phone is constantly topped out due to convenience.

Overall, I think the X is a great device. It’s not perfect, but I’m enjoying it. Looking forward to what Apple releases over the next five years.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
The X is a solid built device but a poor form factor & aspect ratio. Killer screen for some things. Face ID works fine for me. But there's more to a smartphone than this. I don't get excited how my phone unlocks..lol But I guess it doesn't take much to excite the unwashed.

1. Majority of apps still look like garbage as does the UI. That home indicator line is the dumbest thing about this phone and ruins apps.
3. Screen is too small to do OLED enough justice and justify getting over a Plus. The 7 plus screen is still superior.
5. We're basically looking at 9 months or so left til 2018 phones. It's not worth the headache at this point or the money.

Decided to sell and put towards a 75" or bigger tv instead. So I made around 500 selling 3 of these which was kind of disappointing (nothing like airpods which netted me around 3k since launch). Hopefully Apple does more than simply make a bigger iphone X next year. iOS needs some work as do apps for the beta X phone but hopefully Apple can make enough improvements for it to be worthy of me keeping.

I don’t agree with all of these points, but I completely agree about the home indicator line. It ruins some video apps. We probably just need to give developers time to work out the kinks.

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
Like the X, but...
- Prefer the home button, but the added screen real estate is welcomed. Worth the change to create this form factor. Never will think gestures are superior, however.
- Battery life is good, not great.
- Love the aspect ratio and added space in portrait apps, while gaining a little size over my 8 for black bordered videos and pics. The Plus was too wide for me.
- Love the notch in portrait. I think it looks futuristic and is pleasing to my eyes. Weird that I’m saying that. I’m not “used to it”, I actually prefer it! Landscape, however, it’s a pile. Apple needs to adjust their software.
- Need an option to get rid of the home bar. Also, it doesn’t turn off in certain apps while watching videos. More of a visual obstruction than the notch for me.
- A bit heavy for me. Much prefer the 8’s weight and thinness.
- Wireless charging is outstanding. Instead of spending $70 on fast charging, spend it on charging pads. My phone is constantly topped out due to convenience.

Overall, I think the X is a great device. It’s not perfect, but I’m enjoying it. Looking forward to what Apple releases over the next five years.

You make some good points that I agree with, but this is the beginning of a transition away from the traditional iPhone, so I guess its a work in progress. So I'm excited about possible changes over the next 6 months, or even the next iPhone. I'm hoping for a iPhone X Plus myself.

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
USA
I feel the same way. I love handling and using the phone. It is so fast and responsive and I love not having a home button. I hated that button. I really love this phone.

Reactions: Skeptical.me

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's an amazing phone.

One tip is that when Face ID doesn’t recognise you, don’t just give up. Enter the passcode and Face ID will learn this new angle of your face and be smarter next time. Now mine unlocks when I put it on the desk facing my chin.

The machine learning process is incredible technology that adapts to the user overtime. I can only imagine Apple is going to expand on this further with the iPhone X and it's future.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008

You seem like a lovely individual

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.