Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

I have only 762 Mb left in my 120 GB hard drive. I am trying to free up the hard drive by transferring almost 4 GB of pictures to a USB stick. Later on I'll burn the information in the USB stick into a DVD in a friends Mac Book Pro.

For some reason, when I select the fotos I want to transfer, they are not "flowing" into the USB stick.

Any pointers or tips are very much appreciated : ) !!!

Very kind regards,

igmolinav.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

Thank you for your post : ) !!! I even created a new folder inside the USB stick. However, no dialogue, it plainly rejects the four pics I just tried to drag from iphoto's Photo library.

Kind regards,

igmolinav.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Two things. First, check to make sure the USB drive has sufficient space to take the photos. Second, use File/Export from iPhoto.

Dale

+1

If you are trying to drag from iPhoto, I'd expect problems. Either export to the USB Key(and then delete from iPhoto library), or open the iPhoto library in finder and drag (although this may piss off iphoto when you reopen it).

Is there nothing else that you can get rid of? Taking pics out of your iPhoto library is probably the hardest way to make space.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Is there nothing else that you can get rid of? Taking pics out of your iPhoto library is probably the hardest way to make space.

I agree. Besides, photos really don't take up that much space unless you are shooting with a high megapixel camera in RAW. Video is a much bigger space hog.

Also - and you probably know this already, but I was surprised to find out recently that my boss didn't - empty the trash. This goes for your USB drive as well. Unlike PCs, when you trash files on your USB drive on a Mac it actually just puts them in a hidden trash folder but doesn't delete them. You have to empty the trash to reclaim that space.

Although if you didn't have enough space on your USB drive it would have given you an error message. I'm thinking that the problem is what Dale wrote - use the export function in iPhoto.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for your messages : ) !!!

I am exporting the pics to the USB. Tomorrow I'll be getting rid off video, and perhaps some music.

Is there something you would recommend me to get rid off first ??

Very kind regards,

igmolinav.

bdj33ranch

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
I've also found that reformatting my USB key (whether it be in DOS or HFS) using the Mac Disk Utilities has made my USB keys happier with photo transfers. And you can partition a USB key to have both a DOS and HFS partitions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.