Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dark_Soap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2020
In short, my macbook just doesn't preform an NVRAM/PRAM reset even when I follow the instructions (Holding down: Alt/Option + Command + P + R ) and just goes on to start the computer like normal.

A bit more info:
So I spilled a little water on my macbook, so I turned it off and put it in a bowl of rice. After a few days, it was fine. But when i tried to adjust the volume I only see a little "error sigh" underneath the volume icon. I looked up a few fixes and most seem to recommend a NVRAM/PRAM reset. So I've attempted one several times now, but as stated before it seems that my computer just doesn't go through with it.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
The computer in question is a Macbook air (13-inch, 2017)

The "error sign" underneath the volume icon:
Skärmavbild 2020-07-27 kl. 22.35.10.png

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Pram reset does not work like it used to Since Catalina maybe Mojave? It used to be holding the keys you could see the start up cycle over and over as long as you held the keys. Now it delays start up but it does not keep rebooting while holding the keys. It will just come back to home screen.

This is true on Mac Mini, MBA and MBP running Catalina.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Resetting the Nvram (non-volatile random access memory) doesn't have anything to do with the OS. It has to do with resetting the bootrom/firmware.

The way to reset Nvram is to follow the instructions from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

How to reset NVRAM
Option key
plus
Command key
plus
P key
plus
R key

Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart.

Reactions: IngerMan

Delamont

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
In short, my macbook just doesn't preform an NVRAM/PRAM reset even when I follow the instructions (Holding down: Alt/Option + Command + P + R ) and just goes on to start the computer like normal.

A bit more info:
So I spilled a little water on my macbook, so I turned it off and put it in a bowl of rice. After a few days, it was fine. But when i tried to adjust the volume I only see a little "error sigh" underneath the volume icon. I looked up a few fixes and most seem to recommend a NVRAM/PRAM reset. So I've attempted one several times now, but as stated before it seems that my computer just doesn't go through with it.

View attachment 938035
I have a brand new Macbook Air 2020 and I've got the same problem. And I haven't spilled anything on it. When I do the NVRAM procedure, the Apple logo appears and disappears once, then it appears a second time, does not disappear and then starts normally.
Apple support thinks I should reinstall my OS...ugh! Were you able to solve this problem?

Reactions: Iamjaya

Iamjaya

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2020
I have a brand new Macbook Air 2020 and I've got the same problem. And I haven't spilled anything on it. When I do the NVRAM procedure, the Apple logo appears and disappears once, then it appears a second time, does not disappear and then starts normally.
Apple support thinks I should reinstall my OS...ugh! Were you able to solve this problem?
Even I’m facing the same issue and help to solve this issue??

xboxbml

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2015

A bit more info:

View attachment 938035
Well, really rice doesn't do much.. My guess is the sound board got fried from the water damage. Nothing we can do here for that.. I recommend finding a reputable local shop that works on the hardware. They MAY be able to fix it. Even a "little bit" of water can do ALOT of damage. Good luck.

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2021

A bit more info:

View attachment 938035
disable firmware password
while it’s on you just cant’t reset pram

dontpokebearz

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2018
Maine
I'm looking at a mid 2013 MacBook Air for a friend. This thing is beyond slow, and when going to reset PRAM nothing happens. Actually, you can see the screen shutoff and the power fail. Has anyone ran into this before? Also, it takes about 10 seconds of holding the power button for the computer to turn on.

Anyone run into this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.