Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I was tired of waiting for app developers to add Home Screen widgets to their apps, so I created an app that lets you create a custom home screen widget with any image from the web that you like, updated hourly.

I use it myself for viewing space weather data when there's a decent chance of doing some aurora photography. I go to NASA, find the images from the sun that are public domain and published frequently, and grab that URL, then paste it into the app and now I have a custom widget with the data I want. I've also used it for hurricane forecast data from NOAA and the hydrology data showing the water level in the Charles River here in Boston which helps me predict currents when sailing.

The app has been in a bit of "Stealth Release" mode, i.e. I haven't done any marketing, just threw it out there, but I'm excited to finally share it with people who might find it interesting and useful.

If it sounds interesting to you, please give it a shot and let me know what you think. Also feel free to reach out for help or feature requests!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/imagetracker-web-image-widget/id6466650127

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Congrats with the launch. There were however already a few others in the App Store such as 'Widget Web' and 'Glimpse 2' and we had 'Web Watcher Widget', however that last one is no longer in the App Store.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Congrats with the launch. There were however already a few others in the App Store such as 'Widget Web' and 'Glimpse 2' and we had 'Web Watcher Widget', however that last one is no longer in the App Store.
Interesting, I could not find any. I think Web Widget is more for full webpages. I tried Glimpse and it’s was kind of buggy and hard to use.

My app is minimalist but does one thing well (lets you keep tabs on a web image, no html no notifications, no agent pinging the site for content in the background). I hope mine is unique enough that some people will prefer it. It has’t made a lot of money but I have a few paying users now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.