Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bryancap77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2017
I can’t stream on my Mac in the way I want, so I used Mac’s boot camp to download Windows. I couldn’t use boot camp to create a partition (it kept failing during the partition process) so I created a partition manually in the HDD, and then after loading the Windows ISO, it fails. I then deleted the partition instead of the file itself. It is now missing. I have 1TB storage, and I misplaced 275GB. How do I recover this partition?

Also any tips on actually getting past my initial issue where the ISO isn’t working on boot camp, feel free to chime in!

I normally am a do-it-yourselfer, and I am a long time apple user. I did not realize things could get this hairy with a Mac product, so I apologize for my ignorance. I come here often, I’ve learned a lot from these forums, just decided to finally create an account to ask.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The partition that was "deleted" -- was it a Mac partition, or the bootcamp Windows partition?

If it was a Mac partition with Mac data on it -- hope you have a backup.

If it was indeed a Mac partition, and you have no backup, you may need to try some data recovery software. I'd suggest ProSoft's "DataRescue" (there are others out there, as well).

Can it "find" the missing partition?

If it can, you may be able to recover the data that was on it.

Then, I'd suggest backing up the rest of the drive (bootable cloned backup preferred), then booting externally, erasing the drive, and -- start over.

Aside:
I don't trust BootCamp and having a Windows partition on an otherwise Mac drive. Unless you absolutely, positively have-to-have native Windows booting capabilities, I'd suggest a "virtual machine" setup for Windows instead. My opinion only.

sylvie.petit

Suspended
Oct 8, 2017
I can’t stream on my Mac in the way I want, so I used Mac’s boot camp to download Windows. I couldn’t use boot camp to create a partition (it kept failing during the partition process) so I created a partition manually in the HDD, and then after loading the Windows ISO, it fails.
As far as I know you can’t partition a hard drive from Windows running on BootCamp Partition. Also, even if you manually create one partition from macOS still you can’t download & run Windows from ISO. You can do it via BootCamp Assistant only.

I then deleted the partition instead of the file itself. It is now missing. I have 1TB storage, and I misplaced 275GB. How do I recover this partition?
To recover the deleted drive space you need to backup your Mac and format the hard drive entirely to Mac OS Journaled via recovery mode.

Also any tips on actually getting past my initial issue where the ISO isn’t working on boot camp, feel free to chime in!
Burn the ISO to a USB and then try reinstalling Windows afresh using BootCamp Assistant

I normally am a do-it-yourselfer, and I am a long time apple user. I did not realize things could get this hairy with a Mac product, so I apologize for my ignorance. I come here often, I’ve learned a lot from these forums, just decided to finally create an account to ask.
Good you are here :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.