Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I had an MBP that was dropped and left a nice crease on the top and cracked the display. The guy who replaced display also hammered out most of the crease.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
So it fell less than a foot but it had no case so it dented the crap out of the lid. I normally wouldn't care since it's such an old laptop but I need this thing to last until the new MacBook Pro comes out, and the dent is severe enough that the screen grinds on the lower part when I open it. I just need a quick, dirty, and cheap way to fix this so it will not cause further damage every time I open it. There's already a small mark where the metal has chipped above the power button. Can I somehow bend it back without taking the whole computer apart? I'd prefer not to do that because I have limited time and I would probably break something else.

Thanks

Nope, you can't really fix it to like new again. Dents happen a lot using aluminum. Which is why I never understood the obsession with it. It's far from the ideal material. Plastic phones can be made well and do not dent at all.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just need a quick, dirty, and cheap way to fix this so it will not cause further damage every time I open it.
I would think the risk of further damage in trying to bend it back, is rather high. If its not really usable right now, what are you looking at? Will you be buying a new laptop now because its not working? If that's the case, the computer is not something that is fitting a need right now, so while you may risk damaging it further, you may make it more functional.

tldr; The reward may out weigh the risk.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Your only option is to try and carefully bend it back aluminium is brittle it may crack or snap but if it's making it unusable it is probably worth a try.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
If it's the top case, where the palm rest is, you can get this part used on eBay for as little as $30-$40.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.