Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Anyone else noticing black crush, or smearing? Also, there’s a “shadow” that’s along the entire border. Also, this blooming issue is very present on mine. Slight blue shift as well. Not nearly as bad as the blooming IMO. What do you all think? Bad unit?
This article was very informative in regards to the display tech.

I did a little video trying to show it but my camera isn’t that great ha

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Anyone else noticing black crush, or smearing? Also, there’s a “shadow” that’s along the entire border. Also, this blooming issue is very present on mine. Slight blue shift as well. Not nearly as bad as the blooming IMO. What do you all think? Bad unit?
This article was very informative in regards to the display tech.

I did a little video trying to show it but my camera isn’t that great ha

Did you make that video?

• Haha
Reactions: LFC2020 and Ds6778

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
The iPad in the video showed no signs of screen problems. Just a lot of babbling about problems that weren't visible. :rolleyes:
I guess check the front page today. I may have babbled but I was right about the blooming :)

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Dude I applaud telling actual facts considering most try to hide since they pay so much...this might help someone save from spending on something not needed
I figure I would get roasted for it but whatever, it’s the internet, so many people have commented “wondering why no one was talking about it.” Or “they noticed it right away too.” But this is an apple centric site so I guess any “criticism” is a personal attack on those people.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I have the local dimming feature on my tv, granted not as many localized areas, but it drives me nuts, so I turn it off.
Assuming it works the same way on the iPad but I'd never spend this much on an iPad.

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Trying to self promote? Haha.
Nah, front page finally picked up on the blooming. Trust me, I’m by no means a “YouTuber” or trying to make it. I just happen to do a video on something I noticed.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
The iPad in the video showed no signs of screen problems. Just a lot of babbling about problems that weren't visible. :rolleyes:
Agreed. It has this bloom problem, but you may not be able to see it on camera. It has this blurry motion problem, but I’m recording at 60 as opposed to 120, so it’s not a true representation. Talked a lot, proved nothing.

Reactions: LFC2020

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Bigger LEDs are replaced with smaller LEDs that has to work at higher intensity. Wonder how this will affect the lifetime before they wear/burn out.

699477B8-5682-4D3F-8C8C-68ADDECA4350.jpeg

daanodinot

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2015
I wonder what about MiniLED could contribute to the smearing. The LEDs quickly turning on and off?

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Personally I’m not a huge fan of the miniLED display. The edge shadow and for some reason the miniLED panel seems further away from the glass.

In use it feels like the basic iPad but without the hollow screen feeling.

I wish Apple would have jumped straight to OLED and I have a feeling we will see them make the jump to it within the next few years, I don’t think miniLED will be around for long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.