Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meligzl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Hello,

While rebooting, I pressed command and R and went to Disk utility, then i went to Machintosh HD and i erased it because i wanted to erase everything on my imac to start fresh, i also clicked ''restore'' and then Machintosh HD disappeared instead i have now ''OS X base system'', Then i exited and restarted my computer to log back in and now i cant.. Apple logo and the bar gets filled up but it gets stuck and restarts again. I did not back up anything because i don't have anything important in my computer and as i said i wanted everything gone so i did this and now i cant get pass the apple logo. I cant reinstall Mac OS Sierra because it says '' this disk is not formatted as MAC OS extended (journaled)'' I really don't know what i did wrong and i suck at fixing problems like this. Anyone know what i can do?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hold CMD + R again on startup. Open Disk Utility again.

In there you should see your actual hard-drive without a Macintosh HD partition. It might be the name of the hard-drive (some generic stuff like ST500-BLAH). Then click that and Erase or create a new partition. From there you can select it to be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

I appreciate my comments are a little ambiguous, so feel free to quote/reply to this with photographs attached of what you see, and we'll run through step-by-step if necessary to get it back up and running!

meligzl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017

In there you should see your actual hard-drive without a Macintosh HD partition. It might be the name of the hard-drive (some generic stuff like ST500-BLAH). Then click that and Erase or create a new partition. From there you can select it to be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

I appreciate my comments are a little ambiguous, so feel free to quote/reply to this with photographs attached of what you see, and we'll run through step-by-step if necessary to get it back up and running!

Thank you for willing to help me !!! This is all i see right now
17142422_1501384233218544_72431280_o.jpg
17194089_1501384263218541_1252097812_o.jpg
17195527_1501384259885208_178673304_o.jpg
17194125_1501384229885211_1709685_o.jpg
17195636_1501384236551877_1980292636_o.jpg

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Not to worry! Select the very top hard drive listed as you did in photograph #2 (Apple HDD ST1000). Then select Erase near the top. You should have an option for erasing as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Then once formatted, reinstall.

It looks like you may have previously restored the Recovery partition to your HDD through Disk Utility, which is causing the issues you're having. Reformatting with the above steps should hopefully resolve the problem!

EDIT: As @Weaselboy just pointed out to me, the above steps will only work in the Internet Recovery (by holding CMD + ALT/Option + R on startup), as holding CMD + R boots into the Recovery partition on the drive itself and you won't be able to reformat that way.

So if you haven't already, run through the same steps by holding CMD + ALT + R & it should work. Apologies for the misinformation. :)

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What do you get when you boot holding Option(alt)-Command-R?
You SHOULD see a spinning globe (not the Apple icon), then a relatively long boot which may take a couple of minutes to boot to a very similar menu screen that you get with Command-R. Erase the hard drive using the Disk Utility, then reinstall OS X. It will offer you the original system that shipped with your iMac (probably 10.8 Mountain Lion on your iMac13,1.
Once Mountain Lion is installed, you can upgrade to a later version of macOS, if you want.

meligzl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
holding alt- command-r i get a spinning globe like this then after a while i get an error
17142327_1501460779877556_1200715667_o.jpg
17195315_1501471143209853_1636291324_o.jpg

[doublepost=1488828353][/doublepost]
What do you get when you boot holding Option(alt)-Command-R?
You SHOULD see a spinning globe (not the Apple icon), then a relatively long boot which may take a couple of minutes to boot to a very similar menu screen that you get with Command-R. Erase the hard drive using the Disk Utility, then reinstall OS X. It will offer you the original system that shipped with your iMac (probably 10.8 Mountain Lion on your iMac13,1.
Once Mountain Lion is installed, you can upgrade to a later version of macOS, if you want.

i cant seem to access the disk utility anymore for some reason i get either a spinning globe or a question mark with a folder?
17194008_1501427936547507_32605148_o.jpg

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
OP has an iMac13,1 - either Late 2012, or Early 2013, 21.5-inch iMac. I got that from the boot error screen in post #3.
(And, OP appears to NOT have Sierra (or any local system) installed now :D )

You get the flashing folder/? when there is no system to boot to.
In this case, it's because you erased your hard drive.
Usually, erasing the drive from the recovery system does not affect the recovery system itself, so you can still boot (command-R). But, now it appears that you have succeeded in removing the recovery system, too.
So, what's your choices now?
Boot to internet recovery, and install what is offered by Apple's servers. Internet Recovery boots to Apple's servers, so you need a working internet connection just to boot to that.
And, you need to try a different internet connection.

The internet recovery error that you get (Apple.com/support -2002F) is usually a network problem.
Try connecting using a different internet connection, particularly wired ethernet is a good choice, rather than wireless.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Usually, erasing the drive from the recovery system does not affect the recovery system itself, so you can still boot (command-R). But, now it appears that you have succeeded in removing the recovery system, too.
So, what's your choices now?

Erasing the drive from the recovery system certainly does affect the Recovery system - Erasing the physical HDD (Apple HDD HD10... in the above photos) erases all partitions, including the Recovery partition.

As long as the recovery OS is loaded into RAM, not a big problem - after erasing the physical HDD (which will also create a new Macintosh HD partition), go back to OS X Utilities to Reinstall OS X. Under these circumstances, the same version of OS X that was present on the machine previously will be reinstalled.

However, rebooting the system right after erasing the physical HDD is going to leave you with a folder with question-mark. There's no Recovery partition to boot from. At that point, Internet Recovery to the rescue.

Based on the illustrations, back in the beginning the OP probably Deleted the Macintosh HD partition, rather than Erased it. The Recovery partition was still intact, as shown in the photos. At that point, the OP might have been able to create a new Macintosh HD partition, without further erasures, though an erase of the physical HD may still have been the better route.

Now, however...

he OP has to get into Internet Recovery... the most recent screen shots suggest a problem with connecting to the Internet. It may take a reboot of the router, or connecting to the router with an ethernet cable to get Internet Recovery working as it should.

Reactions: meligzl

chrisn5942

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2019
Hello,

While rebooting, I pressed command and R and went to Disk utility, then i went to Machintosh HD and i erased it because i wanted to erase everything on my imac to start fresh, i also clicked ''restore'' and then Machintosh HD disappeared instead i have now ''OS X base system'', Then i exited and restarted my computer to log back in and now i cant.. Apple logo and the bar gets filled up but it gets stuck and restarts again. I did not back up anything because i don't have anything important in my computer and as i said i wanted everything gone so i did this and now i cant get pass the apple logo. I cant reinstall Mac OS Sierra because it says '' this disk is not formatted as MAC OS extended (journaled)'' I really don't know what i did wrong and i suck at fixing problems like this. Anyone know what i can do?

Mandyg1

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021

Can you pls help me I’m having some what of the same problems!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.