Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dxpx

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
the 405, OK
yesterday, i bought my first DSLR! she's a nikon D60 - and i absolutely love it. granted - ive got a lot to learn, but the MR forums have always provided great help!

baring that in mind - any tips for a first time user?

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I'll share something I learned after buying a dslr - you must always read the manual no matter how boring it seems. Beyond that, keep on using it until it feels like a part of you and you can operate it without the slightest hesitation. :)

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
I'll share something I learned after buying a dslr - you must always read the manual no matter how boring it seems. Beyond that, keep on using it until it feels like a part of you and you can operate it without the slightest hesitation. :)

Although it only does good to read the manual if there's a certain something you're looking for... read it when the need arises. I think the same can be said for school and life too.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Although it only does good to read the manual if there's a certain something you're looking for... read it when the need arises. I think the same can be said for school and life too.

Reading the manual may cause you to discover something you didn't know about the camera, something that you would never have gone looking for.

ButtUglyJeff

macrumors 6502a
"Nikon D60 for Dummies", at least I assume there's that title in the series. There are almost always books deticated to a specific Nikon model. They might be a bit more of a fun read then just the manual, with photo's for examples.

Also, I like to search Flickr for images that were taken with the same camera I use and check out the settings for the photos I like. These new fangled camera store the data of the camera settings rignt within the file of the image. And this info ends up on Flickr too.

But remember, there's no film to waste, so shoot shoot shoot..............

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
yesterday, i bought my first DSLR! she's a nikon D60 - and i absolutely love it. granted - ive got a lot to learn, but the MR forums have always provided great help!

Sign up over at DP Review. There is a D60-specific forum over there with a wealth of information.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Reading the manual only when the need arises will only lead to a person never using the camera the the fullest. Even a seasoned photographer who buys a brand new camera should at least browse through the manual looking at all of the new features and how they work.

Read the manual and if that is too dry pick up a D60 book and read it. I can't see how it'd be something you'd regret.

Soma 115

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
the Chi
Reading the manual only when the need arises will only lead to a person never using the camera the the fullest. Even a seasoned photographer who buys a brand new camera should at least browse through the manual looking at all of the new features and how they work.

Read the manual and if that is too dry pick up a D60 book and read it. I can't see how it'd be something you'd regret.

Couldn't agree more. I learned so much more after reading the manual, it was crazy

dxpx

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
the 405, OK
wow! thanx everyone for the feedback thus far! im definitely making my way through the manual - especially after last night. i was trying to shoot an oaktree only lit by a outdoor lantern. now, i know this is possible with a bit of inevitable "noise" - but christ, i wasn't coming close. i was trying my best to be clever with what little knowledge i have of sensitivity, aperature, and shutter-speed - but to no avail!

needless to say, back to studying i go!

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

It'll give you a great foundation for photography.

Adrien Baker

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Bakersfield, Ca.
Read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

That book is a great choice and will explain everything clearly.

The many suggestions for reading the manual are good also, but like others have mentioned it would be good to find a third party manual about the camera that will go a little more in-depth on how and why things work the way they do.

Adrien

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America

1. Buy a light meter and use your camera on manual.
2. When you have what you think is a great photo, don't write your name on it.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America

Well I wonder why people do it in the first place, what is the need with signing your own work? It's a pointless process people put themselves through. People know its from you and I think it distracts, yeah okay there is an argument for it to be a watermark but why put it on the edge, I can crop it right out if I felt the need. Go to http://www.viiphoto.com and look at the examples there of a decent watermark if you have to write on your photo.

It is simply a carry over from when painters would sign their work. I say painters because I've never seen a professional photographer (whether it be an artistic photographer or a photojournalist) sign their work because you know its their photography by the work defining them not the other way around.

So as a suggestion to the beginner, its best to not even begin to do it. Plus anybody reading this might think otherwise as well, the less people do it the better in my opinion. It smells of camera club as well.

I don't really think they need a handheld light meter just yet, especially when they're very new to photography.

I think once that person realises how a picture exposes properly without a camera involved, their thinking greatly differs, sometimes I've fallen into the trap of taking a picture and not being aware of the exposure. They can seperate the parts of what makes a good exposure and learn to bring them back together again. A good time to do it is when the brain is softening up to how a DSLR works.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
The camera already has a built-in light meter, no need to buy one to go to manual mode.

Exactly. An external light meter is usually superfluous...

I'm aware of what a camera already has built in, that wasn't the point I was trying to make now was it? If the thread starter is asking for tips then I would like to open him up to the world of incidence light and reflected light and understand the difference in order to have a good exposure.

But since no camera has a incidence light meter built in I think its useful to go and buy one switch the camera to manual and have some fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.