Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have a process running, Soundsource, it is not an app but is installed as a program in macOS. Soundsource provides you with complete control over any application you have that deals with audio. It is part of a package published by Roque Amoeba used by podcasters. I only use the audio software. To install it you have to go into the security settings found in the Safe Boot screen, and install ARK (Audio Routing Kit) This enables Soundsource to work. Soundsource does not show up in the Launchpad. It does not appear the forced stop screen so when it hangs only a restart will clear it. The problem with the Mac hanging was caused by not having the updated ARK for Sequoia installed. RA had the updated ARK but I did not install it correctly. In Soundsource's settings you can check for updates it is from this screen you update. I did so and with a restart everything is now running like I would expect. In Windows this would have all been handled by an install wizard. Soundsource is a really great thing to have. Individual control of each audio source you have, each with their own master volume control, each with their own graphic equalizer, plus other audio effects used by podcasters, and you can assign each to their own output.

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 10.15.55.png

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Looking back on this the problem is now so obvious. Everything you see on Sound Sources list are app's that were hanging. On the Windows side there are diagnostic tools available on the Windows 11 Forum that will tell you what is going on in detail.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I love Rogue Amoeba's suite of sound utilities. I bought them all and an additonal set a sa gift for my brother.
SoundSource still has issues even with the latest release:
  • If you have an AirPod Max connected, display sleep does not work, even if the AirPod Max is not in use.
  • Occasional garbling of Bluetooth sound.
Their engineering is working on it. I got a very quick response to my bug report.

Reactions: !!! and transmaster

The.Outsider

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2016
Quick Question, not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I too am using this app mainly to be able to control my sounds through the old Apple Cinema Display. However after I updated to Sequoia, I have weird anomalies. FaceTime comes through with an echo, sometimes even where the person on the other end is having a deeper voice. I don't know what is causing this or how to fix it. Same with Signal... My MacMini is playing sound through external Headphone jack onto a bose system.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Make sure you have upgraded to SoundSource 5.7.1. Go into the settings cog on the upper right side of the main console go to settings and make sure you have the updated software. I did not properly update it from RA's website.

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 13.23.17.png

Last edited:
Reactions: The.Outsider

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I love Rogue Amoeba's suite of sound utilities. I bought them all and an additonal set a sa gift for my brother.
SoundSource still has issues even with the latest release:
  • If you have an AirPod Max connected, display sleep does not work, even if the AirPod Max is not in use.
  • Occasional garbling of Bluetooth sound.
Their engineering is working on it. I got a very quick response to my bug report.
I have long said you get what pay for. The $39 bucks I paid pays for support and people who keep their product up to date.

transmaster

Contributor
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I am still having hanging problems caused by Sound Source what I have done as a temporary fix is remove the processes from Sound Source that were hanging, Youtube, SDRConnect, and Apple Music.

Reactions: The.Outsider

The.Outsider

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2016
I am still having hanging problems caused by Sound Source what I have done as a temporary fix is remove the processes from Sound Source that were hanging, Youtube, SDRConnect, and Apple Music.
Yeah I just noticed, I too am having issues, it didn't go away however I figured out that if I kill the sound on one of the items in the list, the echo goes away. So it kind of works now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.