Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psanchez04

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2021
(I’ll try to keep this as short as possible)

tldr; The keyboard on my 2018 (4 thunderbolt, $1800) MBP failed multiple times, leading to device replacement, however, Apple is offering me 13” M1 MBP (my problem with that: only 2 thunderbolt ports and $500 less than what I paid for my Mac originally). I am wondering if there is anything I can do to convince the Senior Advisor to allow me to get a 14” M1 Pro($2000) either though paid upgrade or any other process(issues: advisor is facing system restrictions w/ criteria, approvals from other depts., etc.)

Full Details:
I’m in somewhat of a unique situation. I purchased my MBP in 2018 and have had over 4 top case replacements due to the butterfly keyboard failing. When the issues came back, I called apple support and requested device replacement, to which they approved. To sum everything up, I’ve been on several calls over the course of two weeks and have gotten apple to offer me a 13” M1 MBP. The only problem is that I originally paid $1,800 for my Mac in 2018, and the value of the Mac they are offering me is $1,300. I lose $500 through an exchange if I accept Apple’s current offer. The second issue is that the 13” M1 MBP only has 2 thunderbolt ports, and I currently use 3 to 4 of the thunderbolt ports on my Intel MBP daily. The senior advisor I am currently speaking to has been very cooperative with me, but has told me that I would not be able to replace my current model with a 14” M1 Pro, as it has been denied by another department. She has also told me that I wouldn’t even be able to pay the $200 difference to upgrade to a base 14” due to not meeting some criteria. On my most recent phone call with her, I asked her if she could retry sending a request to another department (I don’t remember exactly who she sent the request to or what the content of the request was) and she did so. I am getting a callback tomorrow from the same SA updating me on the situation, but I have a feeling that I will be denied a 14” again. I’m not sure what I can do at this point, since the 13” M1 is really not an option for my daily needs. If anyone has any experience with this process or have knowledge regarding how senior advisors at Apple evaluate cases such as these, I would appreciate any insight.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
I would take the device replacement and sell it if you really want the 14" MacBook Pro. You aren't really losing $500 as your 2018 model isn't worth $1300 brand new anymore. They aren't going to replace a device for what you paid for it almost 4 years ago. Your current laptop isn't worth even $1000 today if you tried to sell it in perfect condition.

You are getting a good deal here and I think you just accept it and then sell the M1 Pro and use that money towards the 14". No way they are allowing you to pay only $200 for a device that is worth WAY more than your current laptop. Again, I would take the 13" M1 and run with it.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
tldr; The keyboard on my 2018 (4 thunderbolt, $1800) MBP failed multiple times, leading to device replacement, however, Apple is offering me 13” M1 MBP (my problem with that: only 2 thunderbolt ports and $500 less than what I paid for my Mac originally).

Your 2018 machine is 3 years old and today worth AT LEAST 50% less than you paid for it 3 years down the line, even if it is immaculate because its based on 3 year old architecture.

I'd say getting a 13" M1 machine is a very good deal.

I'd take it and would genuinely be happy. I think trying to push for anything more is both unwarranted and unlikely to get anywhere.

If you really, really want the additional thunderbolt ports, and they won't do part exchange + cash difference then either ask for a refund or resell the 13".

edit:
What are you using the thunderbolt ports for? Unless its actual thunderbolt peripherals (e.g., charging, USB dongles, etc.) you could maybe mitigate that with a dock and still have a way better machine in the m1 13".

Last edited:
Reactions: ascender and CalMin

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Firstly, it sounds like you are winning in terms of being offered a brand new machine; that said, it sounds like a reasonable offer, given that you've had so many issues with the original one.

I'd keep pushing on the (paid) upgrade to the machine you want... Not sure why Apple wouldn't be willing to do that for you -- if you are paying the balance between the replacement, and the one that you want... I guess with a company the size of Apple, they have procedures in place to stop staff rorting returns.

Reactions: ascender and throAU

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
2018 (4 thunderbolt,)

That's your in. Forget everything else.The machine they offer you using the CRU program has to be a like for like or as close as possible. They don't do paid upgrades either, so offering to pay won't help. Since your workflow has a need for more than two TB ports, don't accept anything unless it has more than two. You can (politely) argue your point that nothing Apple makes now has the four ports you need and they will give you whatever they currently make that is closest. Just so happens in your case that would be a new 14" M1 Pro. You don't have to go into details about why you need four TB ports (assume one for charging, three for data... just like the new 14" with magsafe). Just be firm that you need more than the two the M1 has on offer.

How do I know? I've had to use the CRU program three times over the last 15 years and i know a number of people who had to do the same. Be firm, polite, and tell them what you need and there's a good chance you'll end up with a new 14" Macbook Pro. It's basically a direct replacement for the 4 TB 13" anyway.

Reactions: psanchez04

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
^ agree that's the point to argue, but suspect they may just offer repair of the machine in that case, and then the warranty is out any day now and the extended repair program won't last much longer.

The 14" really isn't the replacement for the 13" machine, it's significantly more expensive to produce and significantly higher feature set.

And it still doesn't have 4 thunderbolt ports - if they matter so much, then repair it is. Apple are by no means obligated to provide a new machine; they can keep repairing the 13" 4 port he has (or exchange for a refurb), until the end of the repair program.

Last edited:

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Firstly, it sounds like you are winning in terms of being offered a brand new machine; that said, it sounds like a reasonable offer, given that you've had so many issues with the original one.

I'd keep pushing on the (paid) upgrade to the machine you want... Not sure why Apple wouldn't be willing to do that for you -- if you are paying the balance between the replacement, and the one that you want... I guess with a company the size of Apple, they have procedures in place to stop staff rorting returns.

Because he isn't wanting to pay the balance of the replacement and the one he wants. He wants to pay the difference between what he paid in 2018 for his 13" ($1800) and the value of a new 14" ($1999). That's a losing proposition for Apple as they would be valuing his 2018 model at $1800 and its certainly not even close to being worth that much.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Take the M1. it’s a nice upgrade from your 2018.

A warranty isn’t an upgrade plan and Apple isn’t about to open the door to those with your same machine all wanting new 14” for a $200 bump through a warranty claim.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
If they won't let you pay the extra between the laptop they're offering you and the one you want, I'd take the one they're offering you and buy a hub. Either way, sounds like a good deal given your machine is three years old, even with the issues and inconvenience you've suffered.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
I understand your point, but as the others said objectively speaking you are getting a really good deal. They are giving you a new machine which performs better and is more valuable than the one you are replacing.

A 14" for only $200 more would be honestly a pretty huge gift from Apple, fair game to politely push for it but if you get denied just take the M1. If your need for the additional thunderbolt port is non-negotiable, sell it and put the money towards the 14".

I personally advise against repairing the butterfail keyboard, it already failed you several times and will do it again in the future when the warranty program runs out.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
2018 MBP vs. 13" M1 MBP is a trade I would make all day long. 2018 MBP vs. 14" M1 MBP + $200 is an even better a trade I would make all day long. So, my advice, take the 14" MBP + $200 deal and say "thank you very much." Otherwise, settle for the 13" M1 MBP and say "thank you very much." You cannot lose here.

Tip: What you originally paid is not a relevant consideration. It's a sunk cost. It was not worth what you paid the day you brought it home. You essentially paid $500 for 3 years of use and now can take home a far better computer.

Reactions: throAU

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
"Apple is offering me 13” M1 MBP (my problem with that: only 2 thunderbolt ports and $500 less than what I paid for my Mac originally). I am wondering if there is anything I can do to convince the Senior Advisor to allow me to get a 14” M1 Pro ($2000)"

You are being offered a relatively generous deal.

Either take the m1 MacBook Pro as offered,
or
Offer to pay an additional amount and take the base model MacBook Pro 14" (if they'll agree to that).

That's the best you're going to do.
Again, Apple has "gone the extra mile" for you with all those previous replacements.
Take what they're offering with a BIG smile.

Reactions: throAU

Blmj

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2022
Curitiba, Brasil
Now in June 2022, Apple is offering me a 16" Macbook M1 Pro to replace my 2018 Macbook Pro 4 thunderbolt ports.

The butterfly keyboard starts to fail the N key. Also SPACE key sometimes become a comma when pressed.

I sent my MBP 2018 to an Apple Authorized Seller, and after 30 days apple offer me a brand new MacBook M1 Pro 16" 16Gb / 512Gb with one year warranty.

I'm from Brazil. Maybe Apple offered me a better Macbook because I'm iOS developer.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Now in June 2022, Apple is offering me a 16" Macbook M1 Pro to replace my 2018 Macbook Pro 4 thunderbolt ports.

The butterfly keyboard starts to fail the N key. Also SPACE key sometimes become a comma when pressed.

I sent my MBP 2018 to an Apple Authorized Seller, and after 30 days apple offer me a brand new MacBook M1 Pro 16" 16Gb / 512Gb with one year warranty.

I'm from Brazil. Maybe Apple offered me a better Macbook because I'm iOS developer.

The M1 Macbook Pro is out of production (they only go with what's currently available, the M2 isn't really available yet widely, and the 14 Pro is likely out of stock, so they went with what they had. Take it and run.

Reactions: Blmj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.