Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a-m-k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
... but I'm not sure.

Anyway, A few days ago, it was making a nociable fan noise. So bad I almost considered making an appointment with the 'geek squad' to either come over to my house (They make house-calls) or to bring it in to BB. I ran SMC fan control as high as it would go for a few minutes a few times (when the noise was really bad) could it just have been some kind of blockage (dust particles probably) and the extra fan power blew it out. I had also used a vacuum to clean the back out, too. Just wondering. It's running fine now and no 'wierd' noises at the moment. I am kind of thinking it's just because the heat that got to it and when that happens just set it on a hard surface for the duration of use?(Of course, AFTER a 'cool off' period for a few hours.)

It's now back to being so quiet that I have to put my ear close to the keyboard to hear if the fan(s) are actually running. I actually now think my own body temperature contributed to it. The reason I think this is because I have a 'speck' case on it, and after using my MBP for a prolonged time, I get a 'skin design' from the bottom half of the speck case. (I am wondering if I 'blocked' off' the air circulation with my own legs because I usually have them propped up for more comfortable usage. (I also have a fan on wherever I am, so the fans in the MBP and fan on the outside will help keep it cool and noiseless.)

I'm sitting here at a table and the fan(s) is/are registering at upper 40*C's to mid 50*C's.

Thanks. :)

PS.
When I can or get arround to it, I am going to buy an 'X pad'. Which brings me to anouther question... will a cooling pad that was used on an old HP laptop work with a MAC notebook. (Would the slots that you can plug things in be too big/small? I am not sure if it was specifically designed for laptops that weren't MAC's or not.

Last edited:

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
... but I'm not sure.

Anyway, A few days ago, it was making a nociable fan noise. So bad I almost considered making an appointment with the 'geek squad' to either come over to my house (They make house-calls) or to bring it in to BB. I ran SMC fan control as high as it would go for a few minutes a few times (when the noise was really bad) could it just have been some kind of blockage (dust particles probably) and the extra fan power blew it out. I had also used a vacuum to clean the back out, too. Just wondering. It's running fine now and no 'wierd' noises at the moment. I am kind of thinking it's just because the heat that got to it and when that happens just set it on a hard surface for the duration of use?(Of course, AFTER a 'cool off' period for a few hours.)

It's now back to being so quiet that I have to put my ear close to the keyboard to hear if the fan(s) are actually running. I actually now think my own body temperature contributed to it. The reason I think this is because I have a 'speck' case on it, and after using my MBP for a prolonged time, I get a 'skin design' from the bottom half of the speck case. (I am wondering if I 'blocked' off' the air circulation with my own legs because I usually have them propped up for more comfortable usage. (I also have a fan on wherever I am, so the fans in the MBP and fan on the outside will help keep it cool and noiseless.)

I'm sitting here at a table and the fan(s) is/are registering at upper 40*C's to mid 50*C's.

Thanks. :)

PS.
When I can or get arround to it, I am going to buy an 'X pad'. Which brings me to anouther question... will a cooling pad that was used on an old HP laptop work with a MAC notebook. (Would the slots that you can plug things in be too big/small? I am not sure if it was specifically designed for laptops that weren't MAC's or not.

Be careful putting a vacuum near a computer. They can hold a static charge that could fry your machine.

Glad it worked out for ya though! :D

a-m-k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Be careful putting a vacuum near a computer. They can hold a static charge that could fry your machine.

Glad it worked out for ya though! :D
YIPES. Thanks for that bit of info, but I don't think I had the hose very close to the fan area. I am sitting here in complete silence (except for my Itunes I am listening to) and it's so wierd. Temperatures in the mid-forties to upper fifties are so much better than having them in the upper sixties. :)

Thanks!

PS.
I was just thinking about this... have anyone ever heard of endust for electronics. It basically finds the dust and collects it. If I remember right, I think you sprayed the endust for electronics (just like the endust for wood furniture) on a DRY cotton cloth (NOT a paper towel) and used it that way, I guess the dust particles "find" cloth and clings to it. Also, no, the vacuum I used was set very low (temperature wise) .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.