Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lovepainting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2015
I started out in 2010 with an iPad, followed by a iPhone, then I was frustrated with my old Windows Microsoft and thought it would be a great idea to have everything bundled so to speak.
However, the two are of course not compatible. I am unable to move my photos or anything else from a flash driver over to the Mac, I cannot or do not know to create greeting cards from my photos and much less transfer what I have on flash drive (used with my WindowsXP). Many problems have arisen in the last 3 months with Cox Communications - it seems as though it is a compatibility issue between Apple and Cox. I cannot get rid of windows from previous searches, I cannot suddenly print from my EpsonXP430 series. Even erasing the printer and re-installing does not work. Yesterday, I had the most stupid idea, upgrading my OSX El Capitan to Mojave. Now I am faced with a completely new site, having to learn again. I am 78 years old and I am totally done with this crazy digital world. I am ready to sell my Mac Mini 2014 and go back to windows. The latter created problems but never with my internet/wireless provider. I think MAC HAS SOME SERIOUS PROBLEMS. i am fed-up.

lovepainting

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2015
Delete the printer and reinstall the drivers directly, see if that works: https://ftp.epson.com/drivers/XP430_XP434_Lite_64_NA.dmg

Cox Communication is an Internet provider I imagine? The problem could well be related to the router rather than the Mac itself.
Yes, Cox is an internet provider and I have thought also the same: I had a Netgear before and Cox talked me into their new 'Panoramic" modem or whatever they call it and I wonder about that too and should I revert to my Netgear. I have twice deleted the printer and was deep inside my device. It is possible that I also messed up things myself. I have been having problems for the last 3 months aside from printing. Neither Cox nor Apple could help and blamed the other. Now, Cox has asked to make an appt. with Apple and together access my computer remotely in order to see who is at fault. Haven't done that yet, it always takes hours to do this. But one thing is certain, the problems I am having here with this apple device I have never had even with the out-of-date and support Windows XP. Thanks for your reply.

trsblader

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
I feel as if many of these issues are not at all related to mac, and instead related to the user inexperience. For example, upgrading to Mojave and getting a new interface -- that could have easily been known if you looked at the screenshots of Mojave prior to installation.

The thumb drive thing -- does the Mac not recognize it via an icon on your desktop? If not, the drive is likely formatted incorrectly -- not the Mac's fault at all. To retrieve things off there you'll have to use the windows machine and either a) put them in another folder OFF the thumb drive, format the thumb drive correctly, and put them back b) utilize something like Dropbox and transfer from thumb drive to Dropbox or c) get another thumb drive, format it correctly, and move the documents from one drive to the other. Option b is probably the easiest, followed by a, then c.

The other option if not recognized with an icon on the desktop, is that you have them hidden. If this were the case it would still display in finder on the left hand side.

Mac's are not compatible with only certain internet providers. You issue with Cox is related to your modem, router, or possibly just not connecting on the Mac (such as needing to put in a password or connect to a specific network).

The greetings cards can be made in iPhoto and I'm sure there's other solutions out there as well. I simply googled "create cards from photos mac" and the iPhoto tutorial was the first result.

The printer could be lack of support for your OS now that you've upgraded. You'll have to check with the manufacturer to see if they a) support Mojave and b) have drivers for your specific printer (not just one similar to it).

I agree with Cox as far as getting an appointment with Apple. I'd see if you can get a genius bar appointment with them and have them show you these fairly easy things and answer your other questions for you as well. Nothing that you mentioned is a fault of your Mac Mini.

Reactions: Beachguy and tedson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.