Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
TouchID has been available on Macs for over two years now, so why do I have to keep entering my password for things like Keychain Access? Surely that would have been one of the first system components which could have taken full advantage of the new authentication feature?

I'm setting up a new laptop from fresh and I'm losing track of the number of times I'm having to authenticate with my (complex) password to install apps, get passwords, sort out security preferences etc.

Do any of the third party password apps get around this limitation and make more use of fingerprint authentication or is it something Apple needs to improve at an OS level?

Reactions: arkitect

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Interesting, I assumed I'd never have to enter in a password again with TouchID MacBooks (unless it's something like confirming a system update or user/admin deletion). I'm ready to move on from my 2014 MBP but this is disheartening.

I used to use LastPass and currently use SafeInCloud, looks like neither can use TouchID yet.

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
That was my assumption. Unfortunately its a very inconsistent (but frustrating) experience. At a minimum, surely when I am using Keychain I should be able to use TouchID.

Although on the iPhone, there's still times where I need to input my password - iTunes, iCloud, Find my iPhone etc. Which is frustrating if you set a complex password. And surely the biometric authentication is much more secure anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.